Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 14, 2004, 2:29 PM   #1

I just purchased a D70 outfit that includes the 18-70 3.5-4.5G which works well with wide angle shots and stuff like that.Since I take sports pictures for the local paper for experience,now I'm looking for a 80-200 lens w/ good picture quality. Any and all suggestions on different types and styles that would work well with the D70 pleasepost it. My budget can go up to the 300 to 400 dollar range.
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:01 PM   #2

May I suggest you take the time to read the three previous threads? I think you will find almost everything you need therein.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:08 PM   #3

I just bought a Nikkor 80-200F2.8 ED lens. If you act quickly you can still get a $200 rebate from Nikon which brings the final cost down to $699. Although this lens doesn't have VR it's half the price & has some great optics. You can buy a Kenco 1.4 teleconverter & extend it's reach for another $175. Don't get the Nikon converter, because it won't auto focus on this lens.

I know I've blown your budget, but it's as cheap as you will find for a good fast sports lens.

I bought mine from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...669&is=USA

Chuck :cart:
Crashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 10:41 AM   #4

Is it this non-VR version that is rumored to be discontinued, or the VR model? Even my local shop said, "My Nikon Rep. said the 80-200 is going to be discontinued". New model I assume. Obviously they have to cover this range with a new model. I'm just wondering what the heck the new model would have over what is already out there?

Crashton wrote:
Quote:
I just bought a Nikkor 80-200F2.8 ED lens. If you act quickly you can still get a $200 rebate from Nikon which brings the final cost down to $699. Although this lens doesn't have VR it's half the price & has some great optics. You can buy a Kenco 1.4 teleconverter & extend it's reach for another $175. Don't get the Nikon converter, because it won't auto focus on this lens.

I know I've blown your budget, but it's as cheap as you will find for a good fast sports lens.

I bought mine from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=124669&is=USA

Jazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 9:20 PM   #5

Jazz1 wrote:
Quote:
Is it this non-VR version that is rumored to be discontinued, or the VR model? Even my local shop said, "My Nikon Rep. said the 80-200 is going to be discontinued". New model I assume. Obviously they have to cover this range with a new model. I'm just wondering what the heck the new model would have over what is already out there?

Crashton wrote:
Quote:

I bought mine from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=124669&is=USA

Was there ever an 80-200 Nikon VR model?
Jazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:33 PM   #6

I would asume the Non VR will be discontinued.. The lens crashton is talking about is a awsomely fast lens I use it all the time on my D2H and D100 and at $699 a steal I may grab another one just for the good price, , mine was $1300 2 years ago used... If you are after sports action I can't expres enough the impotance of f2.8 appature especially inside... this is experience talking to you.. I don't know if you can get one in that price range but anything else simply will not do the job especially without flash... Good luck dale
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:51 AM   #7

Well, I have followed this thread anad find some of the replies amusing! I have had Nikons and Nikkors for a long time, and having the 80/200 IFED and the 70/200 VRIFED find there is no comparison if you want to do sports photography. For weddinga and the like the 80/200 has been, for me, a lens which I loved for 10 years, but the 70/200 VRIFED is many leagues beyond. For information, the 80/200 does NOT exist in VR format. As regards the comment that the Nikon TC14E converter won't autofocus but the Kenco will, well, I take my hat off to the audacityand lack of knowledge of this reply! I have both, and both autofocus correctly, if autofocus is a verb that is. I also have the ancient push/pull 75/300 lens, and that too works in autocus mode for your information, and that lens is at least 10 years old.

At the time the 80/200 F2.8 was an awesome lens, and still is if I want ot get out the old F90X, but now I use the D70X (soon to be replaced with a D2X) and the 70/200 VRIFED F2.8 all the time, sometimes with the TC14E and sometimes with the TC20E which I have recently acquired.

Quite simply the 70/200 was made for the digital world, and has received rave reviews over its sharpness and usage. The 80/200 is also a great lens and will work well with the D70, but me? I would buy it second hand from a reputable dealer with a guarantee if I wanted to save money over the 70/200. And if you don't want to buy Nikkor lenses then go for the 70/200 Sigma APO which I have seen to be excellent at a cheaper price.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote