Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:52 PM   #1

All,
I have gotten an US$ 350 gift card to buy a new lens for my D70, but it has become a dilemma. I am new to digital SLR and I bought my camera a month ago. I want to decide before the end of the week, so I can get the Nikon rebate, though. :-)

I have been using the kit lens and I am quite satisfied with it. However, I take a lot of handheld pictures indoors (mainly in museums) and it falls a bit short in its ability to capture light. I have researched an awful lot on what should be my low light lens and I have already discarded the 24-120mm VR. I am currently down to the 35mm f/2D and the 50mm f/1.8D. Which one is the more versatile of the two? The 35mm is supposedly the "normal" lens in digital, but what does that really mean (not technically, but in terms of importance)? Which one should I choose, or should I even consider something else? :?

Anyway, I think I will buy the 70-300mm ED in the future. However, if the 35mm f/2D is the best option, I will leave that for later, since I will not have money for both now.

Thanks a lot for the help!

LeoToni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:01 PM   #2

Now if I had your dilemma I probably would get the 50mm 1.8 at about $100 now. And ease back up to the 70-300 with the remaining $250. Trust me in those low light situations its well worth it and you wont go wrong, at a reasonable and affordable cost. Then again I guess you cant split the certificate, plus the rebate runs out. My suggestion automatically puts you back to square 1.
bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Bern.

Do you think I could also use the 50mm f/1.8 as a micro lens in the future? I could not find any information about the maximum reproduction ration...
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:29 PM   #4

I dont see why not. But dont quote me. Someone else probably know for sure.
bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:53 PM   #5

I saw several used Nikon 50mm AF 1.8 lens on Ebay today around $70.00. You really couldn't go to wrong at this price if the lens is in excellent or mint condition.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:42 PM   #6

I think a 35mm F2 would be a nice lens to use in museums. No flash allowed so the F2 would be good. With the 1.5 crop factor on your D70 it would be like shooting a 50mm. A 50mm F1.8 is a great sharp lens too. Although it's like shooting with a 75mm. As far as using the 50mm F1.8 for a macro it focuses down to 1.5 feet & has a magnification of 1:6. While not a macro it does get close. I wouldn't reccomend buying it used off ebay. They are only $99 new with a 5 year warranty. My advice would be buy the best lenses you can afford.

Chuck :cart:
Crashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 2:19 AM   #7

If you're looking at the 35 and 50, what you need to consider is which focal distance you use more. If neither one gets you close enough, there's also the 85/1.8 which is right around $300 right now with rebate.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:01 AM   #8

Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it.

Last night, I locked my kit lens on the two different focal lengths (35 and 50mm) and played around with them a little bit. To me, the 35mm felt more "natural and comfortable," which leads me to think it is the best option for me. On the D70, the 50mm does enlarge the image to the point that you wonder whether it is going to be suitable in a museum or not.

I guess I will get the 35mm f/2 today while the Nikon rebate is still available! :-)

Thanks again! You have been really helpful.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:48 PM   #9

I totally agree, I purchaed the Nikon 70-300 ED Lens. I stayed with

Nikon because I have heard that it is faster AutoFocus
srosengard is offline   Reply With Quote