Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:29 AM   #1
fh

I have 50mn 1.8 AF NIKKOR that I retrieved from my dad's basement. Works great on the d70 to my total surprise as I expected it not to fit or not to work at all.

The only problem that I have is that the pictures I took with it do not seem to be to sharp, usely taken at 1/60 or 1/80 at 1.8. Is it because of the relatively low speed?

I have not tried the lense in other situation such as low light to be able to make a fair assessment. Any idea? Will a new 50mn 1.8 be sharper?

fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:16 AM   #2
Administrator

fh wrote:
Quote:
I have 50mn 1.8 AF NIKKOR that I retrieved from my dad's basement. Works great on the d70 to my total surprise as I expected it not to fit or not to work at all.

The only problem that I have is that the pictures I took with it do not seem to be to sharp, usely taken at 1/60 or 1/80 at 1.8. Is it because of the relatively low speed?

I have not tried the lense in other situation such as low light to be able to make a fair assessment. Any idea? Will a new 50mn 1.8 be sharper?
It is more likely that you're doing something wrong. To eliminate motion blur as being the problem, simply use faster shutter speeds (increase ISO speed or add light),or use a tripod.

It's also possible that you're simply noticing a shallow depth of field. The larger your aperture (represented by smaller f/stop numbers), and the closer your focus distance, the shallower your depth of field.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Finally, most lenses are not quite as sharp shooting wide open as they are stopped down a bit. Unless you need to be shooting wide open for fastershutter speeds or shallower depth of field purposes, try using a smaller aperture (i.e., f/2.8 or f/4.0). Although, the 50mm f/1.8 is going to besharper thanmost lenses shooting wide open. Each time you go a stop smaller on the aperture, you'll need shutter speeds twice as long for the same lighting conditions and ISO speed for proper exposure.

Mybest guess is that you're simply noticing a shallow depth of field (which is a desirable trait for some subjects, since you want to blur distracting backgrounds so that your subject stands out from them).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:56 AM   #3

Its my understanding that there were two types of this lens made. One in China and one in Japan, the latter being more renowed for its quality and sharpness. Maybe someone can chime in on how to determine which is which.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:49 PM   #4

I believe the 50mm F1.8 AF is the one made in Japan. I have the 50mm F1.8AFD & yes it's made in China. Too me it looks as sharp as my 50mm 1.8 AF did.

I'd say you are seeing camera movement in your pictures. Like has been said use a tripod or a faster shutter speed.

Chuck :cart:
Crashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 3:39 AM   #5
fh

Thx all. I will try a faster shutter speed this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks for all advice.
fh is offline   Reply With Quote