Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:31 PM   #1

Ok, I have finally decided to get the d70 But i am abit confused on the lens decision, ok here is what i am considering:
OPTION 1
I buy a Nikon (Nikkor) 80-200mm 80-200 f/2.8D ED AF Lens
OR Sigma APO 70-200mm (70-200) f2.8 EX AF HSM - Brand New

with either of these lenses i buy a teleconverter, i would like to have 400mm of zoom so this would be a 2x teleconverter.

OPTION 2

Or my second option which i am considering is: Sigma 135-400mm 135-400 F/4.5-5.6 APO Lens - Brand New (OR any lens similar to this length and appeture)

Ok so with the teleconverter option i will still be able to have a 2.8 appeture at 200mm (whilst i will not be able to if i choose option 2). But if i choose option 1, i will have a decrease in picture quality due to the teleconverter (is the extra stop or two worth risking lower picture quality?)

Now abit of info about what i will be shooting, i will be shooting tennis mainly (sometimes courtside, sometimes in the stand) So the versatility of just adding a teleconverter instead of lugging a big lens around with me sounds good. I would appreciate anyones opinion, or experience with these options (also would be interesting to see some images with/without the teleconverter)

Thanks alot for your time

Just edited this to make it abit clearer
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:48 PM   #2

JoeB_UK wrote:
Quote:
Ok,:? i am probably going to buy the d70. I would like a nice 300 or 400 mm lens, but i cannot afford a 2.8 stop one. So the choice for me looks like buying a 200mm 2.8 and then using a teleconverter (i know i will lose a stop or two) But do they affect picture quality greatly?

thanks guys
oh course it will, but it wont be extremly noticeible....
but here are some things you might want to know:

1) nikon doesnt make a 200 f/2.8 prime
2) the nikon 200 f/2 + teleconverter is more expensive than 300 f/2.8
3) nikon has a great 300 f/4 for under $1000
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:57 PM   #3
Administrator

Are you lookingfor a prime or a zoom lens now?

As I mentioned in one of the previous threads, the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO IF HSM lens you asked about, using the Sigma 1.4x Teleconverter seems to be a popular choice with both Nikon and Canon users.

User reports I've seen of this Lens/TC combination are quite positive.

BTW, keep in mind that the D70 has a 1.5x Crop Factor. So, a 70-200mm lens will have a 35mm equivalent focal range of approximately 105-300mm without a teleconverter.

I'll move this down to the Nikon Lenses forum, where you may get better informed responses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:20 PM   #4

these are the lenses i am considering buying:
Nikon (Nikkor) 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Lens - Brand New!
Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX AF HSM Lens

Sorry but i dont quite understand prime or zoom. do you mean for example am i looking for just a 200mm or 80-200mm?

btw thanks for the move

ive heard that the sigma is a better lens, whilst its 100£ or so cheaper too what do you think?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:21 PM   #5

Also would appreciate anyones input who has got what i am looking into (if you could provide some images too that would be awesome ) thanks
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:00 PM   #6
Administrator

JoeB_UK wrote:
Quote:
these are the lenses i am considering buying:
Nikon (Nikkor) 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Lens - Brand New!
Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX AF HSM Lens

Sorry but i dont quite understand prime or zoom. do you mean for example am i looking for just a 200mm or 80-200mm?
Yes, a prime lens is a fixed focal length (non-zoom) lens. As a general rule, you can get higher optical quality in a prime lens, so many users prefer them over zoom lenses. So, when you post toa forum that you want a 200mm lens, your post is interpreted literally. ;-)

Quote:
ive heard that the sigma is a better lens, whilst its 100£ or so cheaper too what do you think?
Actually, based on lens tests that I've found, they are very close in optical quality. One popular lens rating site gives the Sigma a slight edge, and another gives the Nikon a slight edge. But, they are probably "too close to call". In one of the MTF tests, the Nikon was a bit sharper wide open at shorter focal lengths, and the Sigma was a bit sharper wide open at longer focal lengths. But, there appears to be very little difference between them from an optical quality perspective.

Lenses tend to have certain characteristics that are not easily measurable (MTF tests never tell the whole story). But, both lenses seem to be well liked.

The Sigma does have the HSM feature (Hypersonic Motor). So, it may focus a bit faster than the non AF-S Nikkor lens (although it looks like Nikon may have manufactured an AF-S version of this lens at one time, I can't locate it).

Hopefully, some users of these lenses will respond and give you their "2 cents worth" to help you with a decision.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 5:26 AM   #7

oops sorry i didnt know about the prime lens hehe. Thanks for the useful information on the lenses tho
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:09 AM   #8

I have tryed making what i am asking abit clearer in this following post:
Ok, I have finally decided to get the d70 But i am abit confused on the lens decision, ok here is what i am considering:
OPTION 1
I buy a Nikon (Nikkor) 80-200mm 80-200 f/2.8D ED AF Lens
OR Sigma APO 70-200mm (70-200) f2.8 EX AF HSM - Brand New

with either of these lenses i buy a teleconverter, i would like to have 400mm of zoom so this would be a 2x teleconverter.

OPTION 2

Or my second option which i am considering is: Sigma 135-400mm 135-400 F/4.5-5.6 APO Lens - Brand New (OR any lens similar to this length and appeture)

Ok so with the teleconverter option i will still be able to have a 2.8 appeture at 200mm (whilst i will not be able to if i choose option 2). But if i choose option 1, i will have a decrease in picture quality due to the teleconverter (is the extra stop or two worth risking lower picture quality?)

Now abit of info about what i will be shooting, i will be shooting tennis mainly (sometimes courtside, sometimes in the stand) So the versatility of just adding a teleconverter instead of lugging a big lens around with me sounds good. I would appreciate anyones opinion, or experience with these options (also would be interesting to see some images with/without the teleconverter)

Thanks alot for your time
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:50 PM   #9

I have the nikon 80-200 f/2.8 and i love it, I shoot youth sports, but I dont use a teleconverter
like jim said on your d70, the 80-200 f/2.8 will become a 120-300 f/2.8 because of the 1.5x crop factor
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:01 PM   #10
Administrator

The Sigma 135-400mm you're looking at is a lower optical quality lens compared to the Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 or the Sigma 70-200mmf/2.8 (especially at the 400mm end of the lens).

But, a 2x Teleconverter on the higher quality lenses is going to degrade optical quality some, too. Unless you *really* need a 35mm equivalent focal length of 600mm (which is what you'd have with a 200mm zoom + 2x TC,consideringthe D70's 1.5x crop factor), you may want to consider getting a 1.4x TC instead (or justhold off ona TC until you get some experience witha lensbefore deciding).

Of course, this is aheavier and more expensivesolution compared to a lens like the Sigma 135-400mm you're looking at (but you'd have a brighter, higher quality lens with one of the f/2.8 lenses you're looking at, which could come in real handy when light is less than optimum).