Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 7, 2005, 6:21 PM   #1

Hi all,

I am new to the community here and would like to say hello and ask a couple of questions. I am considering buying the Nikon D70 (well actually i am pass considering lol.. ). Now it is a matter of finding the best price for all the items i want. The questions i have follow.

!. Lens, A.buy the one with the kit B. or what is the lens that the experienced photographers suggest as a first lensand why.

2. Memory cards A. Scandisk Extreme II or a Micro drive and your opinion.

To help with everyone answers the type of pictures that i would be taking is:

!. trips, example, ride to sturgis.

2. races, and sports, here is where i would like to bring the picture to me. Example, i would be 100' away from the corner of the speedway and would like to have a picture that looked like i was 10' feet away. (hope that made sense)

3. pictures at bike rallies of people and also of the bikes that have been built.

Thank you for your time and hope to communicate with lots of you.

Friend,

Wilbur

PS here is a picture of my chopper.
Attached Images

KingCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:47 PM   #2

Shew, tuff crowd! I was really hoping for some input from some of you.

WhenI was much younger (30 years ago- 50 now) I wanted a SLR but did not take the steps because it was film(cost of film to learn). Now with the digital SLRs I can experiment and not cost myself a fortune in film.

I will be purchasing the Nikon D70 soon(possibly next week) . But some input from the experienced people in the form could help me make a better buying decission.

Everyone have a great day!!

Friend,

Wilbur
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:28 PM   #3
Administrator

KingCobra wrote:
Quote:
Shew, tuff crowd! I was really hoping for some input from some of you.

Ok -- I'lltake a stab at a couple of your questions. ;-)

Quote:
Memory cards A. Scandisk Extreme II or a Micro drive and your opinion
The Nikon D70 is a very fast camera writing to memory. So, I'd be inclined to go with a faster card (i.e., Sandisk Ultra II, Sandisk Extreme, Lexar 80x). The D70 can write to these cards more than twice as fast as it will to a Microdrive.

Quote:
Lens, A.buy the one with the kit B. or what is the lens that the experienced photographers suggest as a first lensand why.
The kit lens is a very goodlens for the money. It's also an AF-S lens (so it's got Nikon's "Silent Wave" feature to help it focus faster and quieter).

There are many lenses on the market today for this model (from Nikon, Tokina, Sigma, Tamron, and others). So, different users want different things in their lenses (optical quality, brightness, autofocus speed, focal range, etc.).

Keep in mind that because the sensor in the D70 is smaller than 35mm film, that you'll need to multiply the actual focal length of any lens you buy by 1.5x to get the 35mm equivalent focal length (same angle of view you'd have on a 35mm camera).

So, the 18-70mm kit lens would have a 35mm equivalent focal range of 27-105mm on a D70. If you take most of yourphotos in this range, and the largest available apertures are acceptable (f/3.5 at wide angle, stopping down to f/4.5 at full zoom), then it would make a good lens for you.

Quote:
races, and sports, here is where i would like to bring the picture to me. Example, i would be 100' away from the corner of the speedway and would like to have a picture that looked like i was 10' feet away. (hope that made sense)

Well, a 50mm focal length ona 35mm camera is said to provide about the same magnification you'd have with the human eye. So, I'd consider this to be 1x.

So, to get something 100 feet away to look like you were 10 feet away, you'd need a lens with a 35mm equivalent focal length of approximately 500mm. Thismay or may notbe more magnification than you are looking for from 100 feet away -- which would be like using a focal length of 333mmon the D70 from a 35mm camera's angle of view perspective).You may want to try out some lenses in a store to see how they compare. A"brick and mortar" camera store would probably have cameras and lenses that they'd let you try out in the store.

For sports use, many users go with something like the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX HSM lens. It's HSM (Hypersonic Motor) feature is similar to Nikon's AF-S (Silent Wave Motor), allowing the lens to focus faster. It's available f/2.8 aperture would also help you get faster shutter speeds in less than optimum lighting compared to slower lenses with smaller available apertures.

Faster shutter speeds can also help to reduce blur from camera shake at longer focal lengths. Of course, you can also get a lens that's stabilized to help reduce blur from camera shake. For example, Nikon makes a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR (Vibration Reduction) G-AFS ED-IF lens.

Of course, a longer focal length lens that is this brightcarries a penalty (size, weight and cost).

Each user will have different requirements in a lens, with different expectations for optical performance. You can spend a little on lenses, or a LOT on lenses. Size and Weight also enter the equation (since many users may not want to lug around multiple lenses -- especially brighter ones that are larger and heavier).

Some users try to find "all in one" lens solutions -- for example, something like a Tokina 24-200mm f/3.5-5.6 ATX Lens (which would give you a 35mm equivalent focal range of36-300mm on a D70. Of course, it's not as fast focusing as an AF-S lens, it's not as bright as some lenses, the optical quality may not be quite as good as some others at all focal lengths, etc., but it's a very good lens for it's focal range and price point (better than most you'll find with it's focal range). Something like this one could be useful so that you don't have to worry about carrying more than one lens around.

Other users may not ever need anything more than something like the 18-70mm kit lens (which would be smaller and lighter, too). Heck, some users may not need anything other than a 50mm prime (which I'd suggest getting anyway, since a 50mm f/1.8 can be very handy for existing light, and sells for under $100.00). ;-)

There are always tradeoffs when selecting lenses for a camera, and each user will have different requirements. There are many lens characterics that are not often seen in specs and reviews, too (color, contrast, handling characteristics for zoom and focus, edge sharpness at various apertures and focal lengths, etc.).

You may want to visit the the Nikon Lenses Forum here, where you may get some opinions of one lens versus another from Nikon users.

Edit: I'll tell you what. Since your question is really about what lenses would work best with a D70 (versus a "What Camera Should I Buy" type query), I'll go ahead and move this thread down to the Nikon Lenses Forumfor you (where you should have a better chance of getting some useful responses).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:56 PM   #4

Thanks JimC for your response. I will read your post a few times to absorb what you are saying.

I stayed up reading and looking at pictures last night (actually till 4:30 am) on this forum and others. The overall views from others are pretty close to what you just posted.

Here is whatI believeI will start with:

1. Nikon D70 with kit lens

2. ScandiskExtreme II (orIII if someone could tell me that it would make a difference over the II). Considering 2- 512 cards and later adding a 1gig. I will tend to shoot in large format all the time because younever know when you will hit the big picture. (kind of like fishing,, you alwayslooking for the wall hanger!!!)

3. SB800 and the accessories that would go with it. Example cover of the light itself(defuser?)

4. Also some quality cases to protect the equipment. I ride a motorcyle 90 percent of the time so i would need something durable, rain proof, and some ruggedness. Any suggestions here would be helpful too.

The 50 mm lens and telephoto lens would come soon after. With the investment I would be puting into this equipment i will tend to lean towards the better lenses. Of course I will still want the most lens for the least dollar.

Again thank you for your response!! and look forward to any other suggestions or ideas that you may have.

Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:07 PM   #5
Administrator

Don't forget that you've got a huge used market for lenses, too. So, you may want to dig around for what's available there (Ebay, Newspapers, local camera stores, KEH.com in Atlanta, BHPhotoVideo.comin NY, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:13 PM   #6

YES, thank you... I have thought of that ... but still need to know more about the lenses so when I do see that when a great deal shows up I will know what I am purchasing.

the information at forums like these are great!!!!
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:29 PM   #7

The kit lens is an excellent buy. Good choice.

For the memory i would suggest the Sandisk Ultra II. It will be cheaper than the Extreme and the performance is outstanding in a D70. Now they sell for around $170 usd for a 2Gb or $90 for a 1Gb.

Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:40 PM   #8

Morris wrote:
Quote:
The kit lens is an excellent buy. Good choice.

For the memory i would suggest the Sandisk Ultra II. It will be cheaper than the Extreme and the performance is outstanding in a D70. Now they sell for around $170 usd for a 2Gb or $90 for a 1Gb.

Hi Morris,

Thank you for your response. I talk to a gentlement in Ohio this afternoon that has both the Extreme III(20 meg/sec)and the Ultra II(60X=10meg/sec). He also suggested the Ultra II and save the $30 difference. Igetting the faster card has no effect?

I am still trying to understand the difference between a Zoom and a Telephoto lens. If you can spread some light my way in laymen terms though i would appreciate that as well.

Thank you,
Wilbur
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:21 AM   #9

If its a 200mm telephoto lens thats all you get, no more no less.

If is a 70-200mm zoom telephoto you can go from 70mm and zoom in to 200mm.

Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:11 PM   #10

Extreme III is overkill on a D70. I would go for the Lexar 80x 1GB. It is slightly faster than the Ultra II, I love it. I cannot say much about everything else, as I just bought a D70 myself and are also looking for a lens/es to begin with.
dieseljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote