Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:05 PM   #1

Is one better than the other??

thanks??
kimbo12371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:19 AM   #2

1.) Same specs for number of lens groups and elements
2.) Same size
3.) Same AF speed and gearing
4.) Same close focus distance
5.) Same nice 9-blade diaphragm
6.) Looks like the same optics inside and identical movement of the lens groups while zooming and focussing

The only visible differences between the G and ED are:

1.) ED lens has metal mount, G has plastic. (also a slight difference in weight)
2.) ED has aperture ring, G does not

I have the "G" - it's a little soft all the way out at 300 but I have not used that much to be sure itwas not ME!! SOME people complain it's slow to AF but I have not had that experience.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:52 PM   #3

Grinder wrote:
Quote:
1.) ED lens has metal mount, G has plastic. (also a slight difference in weight)
That's not entirely correct. All lenses that I know have a metal coupling to attach to the F-mount on Nikon bodies, even the cheapest of them, the 50mm f/1.8D. The designation ED stands for the inclusion of one or more extra-low dispersion elements in the lens' construction. This ED element focuses different wavelengths of light more closely than ordinary glass, resulting in less chromatic aberration and better contrast. It also makes the lens more expensive. "G" denotes the absence of an aperture ring as Grinder has already mentioned. Aperture is then controlled the camera, but only in more recent cameras like all of Nikon's digital SLR's, and most recent film SLR's. A full explanation of letter codes on Nikon lenses is as follows (quoted directly from Nikon's website):

Nikon has a long history of making excellent lenses and we have many different technologies used in our lenses. Here is a brief glossary of our lens terminology:
ED - The lens uses Extra-low Dispersion glass for superior image quality, especially at wide apertures.

IF - Internal Focus, focus is accomplished without the lens barrel rotating or changing length, an advantage when using a position-sensitive filter such as a polarizer.

AF-S - Focusing is driven by a "Silent Wave" motor in the lens instead of the focus drive motor in the camera. AF-S lenses focus faster than standard AF-Nikkors and are almost completely silent. AF-S lenses with a "II" designation weigh less and are generally smaller than their equivalent predecessors.

D - The lens provides Distance information to the camera electronically for more accurate light metering.

G - The lens has no aperture control ring and is designed to be used with cameras that allow setting the aperture from the camera body. G lenses also provide Distance information to the camera.

DC - Defocus Control, the optical characteristics of the lens can be altered to change the appearance of the out-of-focus elements in the background or foreground.

VR - Vibration Reduction, lenses with this feature can be hand-held at lower shutter speeds than non-VR lenses because they have a system that detects and counteracts vibration associated with hand-holding a camera and lens. (VR operation is available only with specific Nikon cameras.)

DX - The lens is specifically designed for use on Nikon digital SLR cameras. It produces a smaller image circle for more efficient coverage of the imaging sensor in these cameras, which is smaller than the 35mm film frame.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:16 PM   #4

I was only talking about the 70-300 "G" and "ED" tast have shown there is zero difference.

But - that is only what I have read from a couple Nikkoe lens reviewers.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the Lens terminology for Nikon lenses! Well done. Are there any good sites that can educate me further on lens selections, etc?
sbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:13 PM   #6

Grinder wrote:
Quote:
I was only talking about the 70-300 "G" and "ED" tast have shown there is zero difference.

But - that is only what I have read from a couple Nikkoe lens reviewers.
There are several differences in the build of the two lenses, as has been notedabove. Optically, the lenses are identical except that the ED lens hasone element of ED glass in the middle of the group.From my (limited) research, this is not enough to affect the lens performance in any great way. For a single ED element to have a significant impact on the performance of a 13 element lens is highly unlikely. In any case, to have any real effect, the element should be placed more toward the "business" ends of the lens - the front or back. Of course, there are no end of opinions that the ED is vastly superior to the G. (Check out the discussions at http://www.nikonians.org)

In general, I am no big fan of the build and feel of the G group of lenses. They are light and flimsy, and the zoom is by no means smooth. But they focus well, and take good pictures. As good as the ED range?

There is one other big difference between the two lenses - price. Nearly $200 USD when I priced them before the holidays. I leave it to you to decide whether this lens warrants the extra dollars.

For myself, I am considering the ultimate sin in the Nikon world - for the same price as the ED lens, there is a very fine Tamron 70-300 LD Macro lens. I've heard good things about it... just waiting for some spare $$$.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

<edit> I stand corrected - the Tamronis $100 cheaper than the Nikkor ED at Adorama.

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:00 PM   #7

When talking about the 70-300 lenses, I would get the G version. Check out the link I attached and you will probably agree. It's cheap, it works, and the optics are great for the price.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300g.htm
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 1:16 AM   #8

ATTN Moderators: Can this post be 'stickied' for this sub-forum? Marokero provides the heart of the information in this post (with attribution to the Nikon website where it originated). And, I refer to it again and again.However, if appropriate and pertinent, Tom's comments could also be incorporated in the sticky post somehow.If there is a problem (legal or something) to giving this stickiness, alternatively, couldthis sameinformation on Nikon lenses be solicited from the members or extracted from this postfor the purpose of making it sticky. Lastly, it might be possible to provide a sticky post to that link to this info on the Nikon website to which marokero refers in his post.

Just for the record, I spent about a minute looking for the Nikon website page from which markero got the information (as per his post) and it did not pop-out at me. Maybe if I had spent more time or knew the website better, there would have been better results.

My only suggestion would be to give it a title on the sticky that provides more indication of its universality to the Nikon lens forum.

Of course, I can continue to provide my own stickiness by making the link a favorite.

Just a thought, from the peanut gallery and a new member.

Thanks,

M

p.s. Thanks for all the great work all of you do to keep this forum going. You have created a very cozy community for us to live in.

melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote