Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 31, 2005, 3:35 AM   #1

Hello..just searched & cant reallyfind a clear answer. For use on 70-200 f2.8 VR...will you get a better result using a nikon TC or do the sigmas/generics do a fine job.

Thanks
quidam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:53 AM   #2

I have the 70/200 VRIFED lens and the TC14E teleconverter, which takes the lens out to 420mm in 35mm terms. I would recommend the converter without reservation. IMHO, I would prefer the Nikon with a Nikon lens, although others seem to get very good results using the Sigma converter with the Sigma 70/200 HPO lens. The loss of one stop is not at all restrictive, and having F3.5 at 420mm is perfectly adequate for almost any circumstance you might encounter.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:32 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply cameranserai. Its sounds a good combination without much loss.
quidam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 3:47 PM   #4
maw

Hello,

I have the same lens (70-200 2.8 VR)as well. Question;will the Kenko Pro 300 2X work with autofocus and the VR with this lens? I've seen the images postedwith the Kenko Pro 300 and they seem very good when compared to the more expensive Nikon teleconverters.

Mike
maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 6:25 PM   #5

Well, I battled through the Kenko site and it seems to me that these are not teleconverters but add on lenses for prosumer cameras. I might be wrong, but I looked at four sites and every one shows a screw on additional lens. That would fit on the end of your lens and IMHO would screw up the focussing and metering. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole but then I believe Nikon converters were made for Nikon lenses, and btw are available on Ebay quite cheaply direct from Hong Kong. Try urgalaxy.co.uk for example from whom I bought my TC14E much cheaper.

If you have a Nikon expensive lens, why spoil things by going for a cheap converter, even if it actually exists?
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote