Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 25, 2005, 1:30 PM   #1

Is the clarity, and low light performance of the 17-55mm F/2.8 lens worth the cost? This is in comparison to the 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 that normally comes with the D70.

Thanks!!
Bob Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2005, 1:53 PM   #2

It really depends on what you want to photograph. Is a low light performance without flash necessary to your requirements? Is "bokeh" important? In saying that are you into portrait photography?

The answer to this question lies in the depth of your knowledge of photography. If you aren't going to use anything but programme mode, well, the 17/55 isn't for you. If however, you want to be creative, use the lens to it's fullest effect, and produce some stunning shots, the 17/55 is a fantastic lens. Depth of field, bokeh, you name it, this has it. The 17/35 is purer no doubt, but - hey! - this is one hell of a lens.

You just have to make sure youunderstand it for your photographic needs before you even think of buying it. it isn't cheap, but then quality never came cheap.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:54 PM   #3

The 17-35 ain't cheap but it's a legendary Nikkor. It's almost impervious to flare - shooting a subject against a bright background for example, you will see no loss of contrast, something I can't say for my 28-70 or 18-70. The 18-70 has more focal length versatility, but when it comes to shooting in lower light environments (such as wedding reception halls) the 17-35's f/2.8 flexes its muscles against the 18-70's f/3.5 maximum aperture in AF. My assistant who shoots with a D70/18-70/SB800 combo has a harder time autofocusing than I do with my D100/17-35/SB800 combo. And if mounted on my F100 there just is no contest as the AF module is higher spec'd than the D100/D70's. The feel of the lens too is different, the 17-35 is a war tank compared to the 18-70's light weight. At the end of a wedding you can tell who's more exhausted from carrying their camera around all day :? Another advantage with the 17-35 is that it can focus much closer than the 18-70, though the 18-70 has a larger magnification ratio than the 17-35. It states the 17-35 focuses at a minimum of 12" away, when in reality it can focus 4" in front of the lens. It's one of the bread and butter lenses in my kit, and one I'm really, REALLY happy with :G

I could swear I read 17-35 in the subject line... :roll: Anyway, the same applies to the 17-55, though from what I've read/seen from some people and a review (http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zo...html#AFS17-55G), it's sharper than the 17-35, but is prone to ghosting and flare much like the 28-70.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:51 AM   #4

Interesting that marokero. I wonder if it is due to more elements in the lens perhaps? What impresses me is that they have kept the weight virtually the same as the 17/35 despite the greater focal length. I have no doubt that yours is the purer lens, and probably the best Nikkor lens outside ofthe prime lenses, but when the 17/55 came outI thought the extra length more practical. That isn't to say I wouldn't like both, but that would be somewhat greedy I think! Frankly, whichever one buys there isn't going to be a disappointment factor!:G
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:47 PM   #5

Most likely yes, regarding the number of lens elements. But I'll bet the flare problem isn't as intense as in the 28-70, which I know flares a lot from experience.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote