Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:11 PM   #1

i'm very happy so far with my 18-70 Nikon ED lens, but i think i want to step it up a notch and get some faster lenses. Does anyone think i would be a total idiot to get the Sigma 20mm f1.8 and a larger zoom Nikon like the 70-200 f2.8? I've been looking for a Telephoto Nikon ED lens to get, but read mixed reviews about the 70-300. And the very good Nikon glass is too rich for my blood. Not sure if i'll be sacrificing glass quality with the Sigma 20mm over the Nikon 18-70 which has proven so well. ANyone have some ideas. I just wanted to do better than f3.5...

Mobileops
mobileops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:42 AM   #2

You could get a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 for around $100 if your only requirement is sub f/3.5 apertures. I also previously considered the Sigma 20mm f/1.8, but eventually I decided I would not use it that often, and for work I needed something wider and beefier (which I found on the 17-35 f/2.8 ). Just wondering if you considered the filter size of the Sigma at 82mm. It's a pretty hefty lens compared to the 18-70 you are used to.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:06 AM   #3

what about the sigma 18-50/2.8? it has 67mm glass.
navin advani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:25 AM   #4

i'm not really concerned about size and weight as i am image quality. Will the Sigma 20mm f1.8 give me better pictures than the 18-70?
mobileops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:04 AM   #5

See the data with MTF graphs and sample image here:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...80&navigator=4

Looks pretty darn good to me!

Hope this helps -- Richard LS
scaramouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:10 AM   #6

mobileops wrote:
Quote:
i'm not really concerned about size and weight as i am image quality. Will the Sigma 20mm f1.8 give me better pictures than the 18-70?
i dont think it is fair to compare a prime to a zoom. primes ahve fewer elements and pics will tend to be sharper. zooms have closed the gap but there will always be a difference however small.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:29 AM   #7

I am rather at a loss to comprehend the question really. A 20mm lens is very restrictive in it's usage, since it is ultra wide angle. "Normal" photography, such as portraits etc, would just not be possible with the 20mm lens. Let's make it clear that for all normal amateur intents and purposes that it is impossible to spot the difference with the naked eye between Nikon and Sigma glass; it is in the laboratory that such differences show, or perhaps when blowing up to bigger than A3 size.

It really is down to the budget available. You say the Nikon lenses are too rich for your blood, so I would recommend the Sigma 18/50 F2.8 and then the 70/200 HPO Sigma F2.8. The former will enable you to be much more creative with depth of field than the kit lens, but I would keep the kit lens since it is a useful focal length. I take it on holiday rather than the 17/55 F2.8Nikon because it is so light.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 4:23 AM   #8

i agree. the 18-50 and 70-200 HSM APO sigma lenses are a nice combo besides with just one lens change you get from 27mm-300mm (FF) with a resonable low light performance. too bad they dont use the same filter size (67mm and 77mm respectively).

BTW if one wants more rangeone could get athe Tamron 200-400/5.6 or a 2xTC or 1.4XTC. And if one needs to add some low light capability the 50/1.8can be a very good 80mm (FF) potrait lens for the price.