Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:20 AM   #1

I am thinking of buying this lens, and as always would like to hear if anyone has already bought it and what they think of it, not only from a sharpness point of view but ease of use etc. I know that this is beyond what is normally discussed here but I hope someone can give me a personal opinion.Thom Hoganhasn't reviewed it, and reviews seem rarer than hen's teeth.

Thanking you in advance, hopefully!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:05 PM   #2

Try Bjørn Rørslett'ssite - http://www.naturfotograf.com(click on "lenses" on the right hand side). I checked out Ken Rockwell's site but he doesn't have a lot to say about it. There is a reference on http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/200400.htm.

I mention these two because both are professional photographers who review equipment without being paid by any of the camera manufacturers (in fact the equipment is all bought and paid for by both photographers). They are therefore not too worried about upsetting anyone, and say it as it is.

From Bjørn's site...

"This might well be the finest telephoto or zoom lens I've ever tested. The image quality delivered by the 200-400 is absolutely marvellous and should put the legendary predecessor MF 200-400 f/4 Nikkor to a deserved rest."
Arizona_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:55 PM   #3

Wow! I hadn't come across Bjorn's site before but it kept me enthralled for more than an hour or two! Thank you so much for the link, and as far as the 200/400 goes I think the review covers every point that I was asking myself. Nice to have helpful people here!
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:01 AM   #4

not only do I wish I had this lens, but I also wish my bank account was healthy enough to afford such a fine piece of glass! :lol:
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:25 AM   #5

Right, so having made the decision that this is a superb lens for sports photography, I start to look at prices and the conclusions are startling. The prices are so varied that as a businessman I can make no sense of the difference. I'll quote the prices in USD since most here are in the USA.

1) The price at B&H and 17th St is approximately $5,500

2) The best price in Europe is around $9,000

3) The best price in UK is $8,600

I know I can buy cheaply from Hong Kong but there is the risk of customs duty and sales tax and anyway the price delivered is still $6,900. I am amazed that it is cheaper for me to fly to the USA, spend a couple of days in New York at a reasonable hotel, and fly back still leaving about $3,000 in my pocket! I wonder if Nikon might like to comment?
Old Mar 20, 2005, 7:49 PM   #6

Being English myself, and living the first 31 years of my life there, I can tell you that overpricing of products compared to the US is endemic. Notwithstanding the fact that the UK pound buys almost two dollars these days, UK prices are often numerically equal to the US prices.

It's not called "Rip-off Britain" without reason. Seems to apply to the EEC as a whole.

And I want one of those lenses too.
Arizona_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote