Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:26 PM   #1

I am looking at expanding my Nikon lens collection for my D70 (well...OK, I have the D70 with kit lens), but have always enjoyed longer zooms (up to around 210) in my previous life with film camers. As usual, budget is a constraint, but I have narrowed it down to one of the following 3 (all prices in Canadian $):

a) Nikon 70-300G F/4-5.6, $169

b) Sigma 70-300 F/4.5-6 DL Macro Super II (not APO), $229

c) Nikon 70-300 ED F/4-5.6, $499

I have eliminated the ED because of price, and am leaning towards the Sigma because of the 1:2 magnification (vs the Nikon G at around 1:4). Macro is not (yet) a big thing for me, but I have made some beautiful 13x19 prints on my Canon i9900 of a butterfly shot with the 18-70 kit lens (the butterfly is only a small part of the overall picture!). I spoke to some of the good folks at Vistek and they did not seem to worry about the plastic lens mount on the G lens, but did recommend the Nikon lens because of supposedly better resale value. At a price like this, I am not too concerned about that, though.

I have not been able to track down the APO version of the Sigma lens here in Calgary - if I can and the price is not too far off the non-APO version I will lean towards that.

Any advice, comments or experience with either or both of these lenses?

Thanks!
nevillec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:59 AM   #2
NHL

FYI - Macro with the Sigma (APO): :idea:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...12&forum_id=79
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 7:35 PM   #3

NHL wrote:
Quote:
FYI - Macro with the Sigma (APO): :idea:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=79
That is a stunning image! I am defintely leaning towards the Sigma because of the higher magnification - I would have to pay more for a close-up filter or extension tubes to get the same magnification on the Nikon lens.

Thanks for the pointer - I will post here when I make a purchase!
nevillec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 1:02 PM   #4

Really get the APO version. It is really worth a couple of extra bucks. In Canada they ask 350$ cnd (ouch). You can get in the states for only 170$usd
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote