Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 20, 2005, 11:30 PM   #1

In my local camera shop, the salesperson told me that a Tele AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm F4-5.6D ED autofocus lens would focus much better and faster than the similar, but less expensive "G" lens. Is this true? Also, I can get a Sigma Telephoto 70-300 F4-5.6 APO Zoom Macro Super II Autofocus lens for less. I don't know if I would like the Macro part, but it would be nice to have it if I decided to use it. My eyes aren't too good, so the autofocus is important to me. How isthe Sigme for Autofocus? Any help will be appreciated.
JREdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 9:17 AM   #2

All those lens will autofocus at the same speed. It is the camera that drives the focusing on those lens. There is a huge consensus that the Sigma 70-300 APO super II is the best value in the $200 dollar range.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:26 AM   #3

Thanks, Morris, for the information. I have read in different places on this and other forums that the Sigma is an excellent lens. The salesperson at the camera store had an obvious preference for the more expensive Nikon lens. ( I do not believe they even carry the Sigma lens.) She said something about the "D" lens having a motor built into it so that it would focus faster and more accurately in dim light. I do have a problem with her, though. She didn't even know what a pentaprism was, or whether the D-70 had one. Thanks for your assistance. I think I will go with the Sigma. It isn't often that you can get the best quality for the lowest price!
JREdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:00 PM   #4

The NIkon D lens have no motor to autofocus...Only the AF-S lens have built motors
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote