Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 26, 2005, 2:02 AM   #1

I want a general purpose, compact lens with a good zoom range for just general photography. Mostly candid shots, some nature (nothing close up), just "general" picture taking. I want something about the size of the D70's kit lens. I am looking at three:

Sigma's COMPACT HYPERZOOM 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 ASPHERICAL MACRO
Nikon's 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF Zoom-Nikkor
and
Sigma's 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 MACRO

I am leaning towards the 28-300 even though it goes up to f6.3 at max zoom. I would lean toward the Nikon if I receive feedback away from the 28-300 just because I like the Nikon stuff and trust it. But, I am also open to suggestions. The most I can spend is about $400 top, but I want to stick to around $250 to $350.

I am not at all an experienced photographer; just got the D70 a few weeks ago and am still very much learning. I know I want a closer zoom than the 18-70, but I like that lens and it was a major deciding factor in me choosing the D70 over the Cannon (that and the overall feel of the Nikon vs. the Cannon).

Any opinions would be welcome and appreciated very much. Thank you.
rmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:30 AM   #2

I don't know anything about the three you mentioned, but if you already have the 18-70 why not get the Sigma 70-300 4.0-5.6 APO Macro Super II.
This way you have everything covered from 18-300. The 70-300 is considered to be very good for the money, from most of those who have one. Myself included.... Around $200.00
The link below may be of some help to you.

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm

My .02 cents

Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:57 AM   #3

Mostly because I want something more compact than the 70-300. But I have also read good things about that lens. If it were not for the size (which mind you is not that large) I would choose it. I still may get this lens due to the price however. Thanks for your advice.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:37 PM   #4

I bought the 28-300 Tamron for my D-70two months ago and I love it. Granted it is a little slow to autofocus and not very good in low light at 200-300 mm but for the money it has produced great photos. Everything from portraits to nature photography. Since I have had it, my 18-70 has been collecting dust. I would post some photos but I cant seem to down size them enough to post them here. I always get an error message and it says my file is to big. I wouldbe more than happy to e-mail you some.

hopes this helps.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:07 PM   #5

The Tamron 28-300 is a good choice if you really want a huge zoom range.

Sigma is coming with a new 18-200 designed exclusively for Digital. It my be worth a look.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 8:49 PM   #6

What are the advantages of the "designed for digital" lens? I guess I am dumb. I really liked the 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC. I think instead of a fast prime I may opt for that depending on the price. It would give me some more flexibility and a fairly fast lens. Not as fast as a 20, 24 or 28mm f/1.8 but that is for a later discussion. I have gotten several votes for the Tamron now. I just didn't know how they stacked up against the Sigma stuff. Thanks for your help.