Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:20 AM   #1

The distributors tell me that the lens 17-55 mm AFS is no longer it is manufactured and it was replaced by the new 18-55 mm. However I don't get to find in the Web, any reference to this new lens(slr).:?:
sneckcids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2005, 12:18 PM   #2

I suggest you go to the horse's mouth and look here for your answer. There is no mention of an 18/55 anywhere.

http://www.europe-nikon.com/category...&catId=117

Incidentally, I am sure someone can help me with an answer to this. I have used the 24/120 for years on my film camerasand it was a great all round lens, but transforms into 36/180 in digital terms. Now I have the 17/55 which interpolates as 26/83, but is there any technical reason why Nikon can't produce a replacement lens, F2.8 preferably but not essentially, in the 16/80 format to replace the 24/120? I for one sure wish they would, since as a travelling lens it was useful for most things, while never of course being as good as the professional lenses and never as sharp. Hope for a reply!

cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:56 PM   #3
Administrator

The Nikkor 18-55 is not yet announced but it will be the kit lens for the new D50 and maybe the D70s as well. See our Breaking News page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#d50
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:51 PM   #4

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
Now I have the 17/55 which interpolates as 26/83, but is there any technical reason why Nikon can't produce a replacement lens, F2.8 preferably but not essentially, in the 16/80 format to replace the 24/120?
i am waiting for such a lens too. 16-80 is perfect. but i guess the glass would be huge and expensive.
navin advani is offline   Reply With Quote