Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 21, 2005, 6:42 AM   #1

Hello,

I'm gonna buy a 70/200 VR telezoom and wonder which one of the AF converter is the best TC-14 TC-17 or TC 20 - I suppose TC14 is the best one for not loosing quality but how about the TC17 or TC20?

Further is there an alternative brand to nikon like kenko to get the same quality?

Thank you
fendleroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:33 PM   #2

The best choice would be theTC-17E II supports both AF-S and VR as far as how good it works you can read here http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/tc17e.htm

The Nikon TC-20E II works butphoto quality isn't that good http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/tc20e.htm

Other brands also work like the Kenko and Tamronbut you need to make sure that you'll still have AF-S and VR support from them.

jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 4:48 PM   #3

I asked Nikon the same question about my 80-400 VR lens and here's their reply:

"The E-type tele-converters may NOT be used with that model lens. E-type teleconverters are for AF-S or AF-I lenses ONLY.

There are two teleconverters that may be used; they are:

TC-14A 1.4x
TC-201 2x

The AF and VR feature of the lens will NOT be able to be used."
little big man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 5:56 PM   #4

Yes he wants the Nikkor70/200 VR this is a AF-S lens so he wants the TC-17Eor TC-20E II the 80-400 is not AF-Sso your right the E type isn't for that lens. The bigger question is is it worth it and what are you expecting from it.
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:44 AM   #5

Is it worth it? Damned right it is! I have both the TC14E & TC20E with the 70/00 VRIFED and it is a cheap and simple way of extending the lens. Remembering that 200mm = 300mm in "old money" film terms, then getting 420mm (TC14E) at F3.5 is well worth it. The autofocus is quick and sharp, and I do not miss the loss of one stop at all. It depends on the type of photography thet fenderloc is going to do with it. Wildlife he'll need the 20E probably, but be advised that it is a bit slower on the autofocus and has a loss of two stops but then you are pushing out to 600mm with this converter. I suggest you go here to get a professional opinion:-

http://www.bythom.com/70200VRlens.htm
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 4:33 AM   #6

Hello cameranserai,

Thank you for your advices.I don't have any experience with wildlife pictures so I'd like to take advantage of your experience in the Kruger NP.

Did you take pictures on a animal hunting another one and how did you setyour autofocus on the cameraand VR for that purpose?

Don't you think the TC17E is the best choice to avoid changing lens or converter and perhaps get dust in your camera?

Thank you
Old May 1, 2005, 3:22 PM   #7

The Kenko Pro 300 1.4x and 2x TCs (newest versions) fully support AF, VR and AFS. They are very sharp. Unlike the Nikon's, they will also fully support AF on both older AFD and the newer lenses.

Yes, dust is a serious problem when in the bush. Make sure you have sensor cleaning kit with you when you go. Second body is also recommneded. I would take a number of extra camera batteries.

The 70-200 with 1.4x and 2x Kenko TC is standard in my travel kit. If I were going on another safari I would also take my Sigma 50-500 AFS (non VR). It is an excellent lens and with its coverage would probably never have to be removed from the body. In bright sunlight it will work with 1.4x TC.
JOHNCHAP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 12:56 AM   #8

Hi and thanks to all for your advices,

I finaly bought the 70/200VR with the nikon TC17EII and took some shots, I'm very glad with it. Not a lot of picture yet but I'll post some after my safari.

http://www.pbase.com/fendleroc

Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:56 PM   #9

A good choice, you'll not regret it!
Remember this on a D70 with 70-200 Vr (1.5 X digital crop factor)

TC14E = 1 f stop loss ( to 420mm )

TC17E = ONLY 1 1/2 fstop loss ( to 510mm)

TC20E = 2 f stop loss ( to 600mm)

As you can see a clear advantage to the 1.7X :-)

Cheers
Marc

D70VRfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 2:23 PM   #10

Hi,

I've just come back from a safari in botswana and took 1600 pictures both with the 18/70 and the 70/200 VR+TC1.7.

It worked really great. I use it in the apperture priority mode.