Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:26 AM   #1

I'm interested in buying a super-wide angle lense for my new Nikon D70. I'd appreciate help comparing the Nikon 10.5mm f2.8G ED-IF DX Autofocus Fisheye Lens with the Nikon 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX Wide-Angle Zoom Lens. In particular, how do images created with the zoom lens set at 12mm compare with images created with the 10.5mm fisheye? Thanks!
rickbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2005, 7:15 AM   #2

I think you need to think about what sort of pictures you want to take. I own a Nikon12-24 zoom and I'm very happy with it. I suspect that the quality of the pictures is not as good as the 10.5 but it's certainly good enough for me.

More importantly though is the characteristics of these lenses.

At 12mm the 12-24 has a filed of view of around 100 degrees and it is a rectilinear image. It's a zoomso depending on the subjectyou have a range of fields of view.

The 10.5mm has a field of view of around 180 degrees so it's massively wider than the 12mm even though the focal length wouldn't suggest this. The reason for the huge difference d that the 10.5 is a fisheye lens. It creates a distorted image, away from the centre of the image straight lines will be curved.

Not a brilliant comparison but the first and third shots on this page are with a 10.5 the second in a 12-24 http://www.nupg.org.uk/Gallery/Splas...%20Gallery.htm
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:44 AM   #3

Thanks, that reply helps a lot!

--rickbliss
rickbliss is offline   Reply With Quote