Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:39 AM   #1
kex

hi,

I'm a proud owner of a Nikon D70 since january.
I also got some lenses but a real wide angle zoom or allround lens is still missing in my collection.

What I got at the moment is:

Nikkor 28-80mm /f3.3-5.6 G
Nikkor 50mm /f1.8
Sigma 70-300 /f4.0-5.6 APO Macro Super II

What I'd like to have now is something like 18-125mm to give me a real wide angle and still some tele.
But I heard that these lenses are not very well regarding image quality, sharpness and colours.

I was almost sure to get a Sigma 18-125. But recently, I didn't read good things about that lens.

On the other hand, the 28-80 gives me a kind of wide angle. but I don't know if that's wide enough for architecture.
And I am also planning to get a real macro lens like the Sigma 105mm /f2.8 EX.
I don't want to get both at the moment because of the cost.
But if I'd get the macro lens instead, I would also have a good midrange prime lens for low light and could still get something similar for wide angle lateron.

What do you think I should do?
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:56 AM   #2
NHL

FYI - http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/17401850
... also http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/shootout
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 3:00 PM   #3

18mm (27mm full frame equivalent) on a D70 does not make a really wide angle lens. Go to one of the 12-24mm (Tamron, Sigma, Nikon and Tokina ) lenses. 12-24 is nominal since this wide angle range varies depending on the manufacturer.
JOHNCHAP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 4:55 AM   #4
kex

yep I somehow agree. but there are no allround lenses which are really wide open and give you a short tele.

but maybe I should go with a real wide-angle zoom lens.

What do you think about the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5,6 EX DC HSM.
It would give me a really nice wide angle of 15-30mm.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 3:11 PM   #5

I own the Sigma 12-24, which is a full frame lens which will work on a full frame body. It is an excellent lens. It is a bit large, but fairly light. Also, you cannot really use filters in front of the lens. Even on a DX camera, filters will slightly vignette at 12mm. Most people would find this lens a bit too large and heavy for their liking.

I believe all the others are DX lenses for digital cameras only. If you also own a film body, you might want to consider the Sigma 12-24. If not, look at the others. Pop photo just reviewed the Tokina and found it an excellent lens at a price far less than Nikon's. I have heard nothing but good things about the Nikon. Personally I have never liked Tokina lenses. They are extremly well built -- as good as Nikon -- but optically they have never quite measured up for me. But others really like them.

OTOH, Sigma optics are very good -- better than tokina -- but their build quality while OK is generally not as good as the Tokina.

Tamron now has a lens in that range (11-18) as well. I say now, but it apparently coming soon. I have heard nothing about it, but look around. I have owned the tamron 24-135 and 28-75/2.8 and found them to be good lenses. But they are the only two tamron lenses I have owned in 35 years of photography.

It is a fact of physics that the limited resolution of a 6mp DSLR will tend to camouflage the capability of top performing lenses, thus minimizing the differences between excellent and VGquality lenses. Assuming that the $900+ nikon 12-24 is better than the other competing brands (actually they may be as good or better), unless you owned the 12mp D2x you would probably not see any difference. But, the megapixels in DLSRs is going up, and in the next year or so you will be able to buy 8, 10 and maybe even 12MP DSLRs for what you paid for a D70, so the better lens (if indeed one of the brands is really better) might be a better buy in the long run.

If I were in your shoes I would buy used off of ebay. For example, used sigma 12-24 seems to be selling for under $500. If I could not find any used at a decent price, I would oo to ebay and buy whichever of the lenses was the cheapest, making sure it was an official us import to get the us warranty.

Also, currently the Nikon and the Sigma 12-24 are the only ones really available. There are some tokinas available, but not many. The 10-20 sigma and 11-18 tamron are not really on dealer shelves yet, apparently. Can you wait?

Sorry if the above were more confusing than helpful?

JOHNCHAP2 is offline   Reply With Quote