Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:58 AM   #1

Thinking to buy 24-120mm VR lens but read reviews that it has barrel distortion at 24mm and pincushion at 120mm. Can someone with this Nikkor lens shares his/her view on this. Thanks :?:
query is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 2:54 PM   #2

All zooms have some distortion; and even some primes have some. WA to tele zooms virtually all have barrel at wide and pincushion at tele setting. The issue is whether it is really noticeable and/or is worse than your tolerance for it. I don't find the 24-120 particularly bad with either distortion. The usual warnings for using this lens for architecture and the like which tend to have straight lines near the edges of the frame. For most subjects the distortion would not really be noticeable.

Go to a store and shoot a few frames to get an idea.
JOHNCHAP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 10:17 PM   #3

Thanks for your info. Tried out the lens over the weekend and found just slightly darker through viewfinder. The VR feature is really nice. Compared photos with VR ON and OFF, noticed the difference. The lens is quite well built and has nice hand feel. You are right about distortions. Even primes have them too. Unless, I get a lens with f/2.8 throughout the focal length; this lens appears to be a good investment for my type of shooting...indoors/night time, little set-up time and etc. :idea:
Old May 5, 2005, 6:59 PM   #4

Well,

You may find distortion if you look for it but in the real world of taking photographs I do not think this lens can be beat. I use it for everything with no problems at all. I have not had any complaints at all from any customer about any distortion. It is the only lens I use now. I do portraits, Family portraits, pets, cars, motorcycles, scenics and weddings and party's etc. It just does everything I need it to do. I did buy a 85mm 1.8 but I don't ever use it. The 24/120 "VR" is all I need.

I'm sure if I ever did sports such as football or baseball I would need a 70 to 200 "VR" to reach the action but I really don't do that type of photographs any more at all. If I do go to a school game I just try to get a picture of a Dad or A Mom with their kid. They are much more (salable ) when I show them a nice finished picture the next game.

D100,24/120"VR" lens,SB28DX flash, Stroboframe flipbracket for flash, replaced about 45 pounds of Hasselblad equipment and does a much better finished job.It is lighter and faster and easier to use and the results are always just great.
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 8:31 PM   #5

OK! I got the message. Bought mine few days ago. So far, very happy with the results. VR feature is excellent especially for closed up and long exposure time. Have no complaints or regrets at this time.
Attached Images