Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 9, 2005, 9:12 AM   #1

Iam going tobuy a D70s and don't like kit len. I plan to buy either of them

1. AF-S 24-120 VR

2. AF 24-85 F2.8_4

Does anyone have any experience on them ? Could you post me your commentson which one is better ? Is there any problem for using them on D70s ? Thanks for your valuable input in advance.
jylai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2005, 5:58 PM   #2

jylai
like you i too did away with the std lens kit and opted after some pondering on the 24-120VR. I use it with the earlier D70 and have had only the greatest fun. I don't shoot on too high ISO for obvious reasons and since Im not planning to enlarge my results, it doesnt matter. 24-120VR is a great all round lens to carry about esp if you are not planning on having a few other lenses. Gives you wide angle to medium telephoto range and with the 1.5x ratio is really sufficient for a lot of amateur photographers' needs. Have had no specific complaints really - sometime focusing can be a tad slow in difficult circumstances. Definitely recommend using the lens hood when shooting towards light source. I have had better lens hood, too easy to come off when knocked (are you listening mr nikon).

I have since added the 70-200VR to my range and find the 2 more than adequate for my use. Maybe missing the ultra wide angle like a 12-24mm have to rob the bank first before I go there.

Go for the 24-120VR - you'll love it - not the fastest lens but then I would have had to pay more if they had made aperture constant at f2.8 all the way.
Davy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 10:02 PM   #3

Hi Davy,

Thanks for your comment. Actually I prefer to buy 24-120 since the most frequent use focal length is covered. But I also notice the 24-85 having F2.8, that means this lens probaby possess higher optical performance than 24-120. So this is dilemma for me to choose either of them.

Does somebody has experience on 24-120 & 24-85 (F2.8) ? I really need your valuable recommendation from them ...........looking forward to hearing any good or bad to them.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:42 AM   #4

i hear the 24-85/3.5-4.5 AFS actually might be better than the 24-85/2.8-4 ? only other alternates are 3rd party lenses (tamron 28-75/Di, Sigma 24-70 or 24-60, etc..).

a pop photo review claimed the sigma 24-60 is a reall good lens.
navin advani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 8:51 AM   #5

jylai

your comments on f2.8 noted regarding the 24-85 lens. i agree that aperture of 2.8 gives you a little more flexibility especially in poor light condition but certainly no reflection (pardon the pun) on the quality of the lens.

i cannot say anything about the 24-85 lens as i have not used it myself. what i can say though is that i love the flexibility the VR gives me when using the 24-120 lens - even in unfriendly light condition.

check this out if you haven't already seen it

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2485afs.htm

good luck. frankly you cannot go wrong with either lens i say. click away my friend.
Davy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 10:14 AM   #6

Hi Davy,

I got ! I have seen this commnet frombefore and am also aware24-120 VR isnot as good from kenrockwell.......I went to your profile window seeing you have two girls, me too. I will buy a lens for go-around use. Maybe my pondering is wrong that 24-85 F2.8 will be optically better. I hear this point from few local sellers. I am still trying to have more discussions betwen them. I am new to DSLR but I know camer bodies come and go but lens can be used for ten or above.....that's why I am seriously thinking about them. Anyway, your kind advice is appreciated. I will letyou know my decision and hope cansharemy enjoying on 24-120 VR in the near future.

Old May 11, 2005, 10:22 AM   #7

Davy,

Some comments from DPreview

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13430450
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:50 PM   #8

The 24/120VR is all I ever use anymore. I do weddings, pets, portraits and all of My travel senics with it. I have never had A single complaint from A client about the quality of their photographs.

I just got back from two weeks in IceLand with 1,626 pictures and they are all just great. I have already printed some 13" X 19" photographs with no problems at all. As I have said on this forum many times." The 24/120 "VR" nikon lens is the best one only lens for me.

This picture is shot through A dirty van window wile moving and It still printed excellent enough to sell at 12" X 18".
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 2:12 AM   #9

The 24/120 was my standard lens for 10 years on my film camera, but it just doesn't cut the cake for me any more I'm afraid. 36/180 isn't what I want, it is 24/120 and Nikon don't have a lens to fit any more. Sad. I use the 17/55 F2.8 for weddings but miss the extra focal length, but I can't, in tight situations, be doing with a lens that only gives me 36mm at the widest angle. Yes I've tried the 24/120 on my D2X but frankly the kit lens (18/70) off the old D70 is the preferred travelling lens now. I only wish, and I've said it so many times, that Nikon would bring out a 16/80 to replace the 24/120 in digital terms. That would be the perfect travelling lens. As it is I now am forced to carry my bag in the car with two lenses, the 18/70 and the 70/200 VRIFED. I often wonder why Nikon didn't make the 18/70 to fit the TC series of converters too. Having had my little rant there does seem to be one lens out there which does fit the bill though - the Sigma 18/125 which is a new lens especially designed for digital cameras. Looking on Ebay this seems to be in the region of £170 or $325 so it isn't expensive and should be the perfect travelling lens. I'm going to have a good look at it myself and possibly buy. Just my thought on the matter.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 8:25 AM   #10

I just did another succesful wedding with My D100 and 20/120 VR and I just have a hard time believing I can do just about anything with this equipment and Photoshop CS2.
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote