Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 13, 2005, 1:37 AM   #11

The quality of the glass in the ED lens is what you pay for, but I seem to remember that this is a graduation present and it will all depend on their budget of course. We all want the best equipment, but in many cases we get mesmerised by the prices and statistics and forget about taking photos. Take 10 days ago for example. I shot a wedding, and to my horror found that I had forgot to pack the 17/55 F2.8 lens and only had the kit lens with me. I pushed the ISO rating to 400 and all the shots were great (except when they blinked of course!) and I have had heaps of praise. The moral here is that it is mainly the photographer who takes a good photograph, a poor one who takes a snapshot. If the content isinteresting people won't so much notice if the lens is a bit soft at the edges and so on. I have the old equivalent lens to the ED (75/300) and it still is a great travelling lens, but as regards the cheaper ones theyseem to have good reviews too - go to Amazon and read the buyers opinions. For a review of the Ed go here:-

http://www.bythom.com/70300lens.htm

In the final analysis, you are buying NIKON, so the name implies quality in my book. You won't according to the reviews, be disappointed with either.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 3:16 PM   #12

Good site to read about Nikon's 70-300, and not only, is:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300g.htm

woyteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 6:38 PM   #13

AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED may be worth considering,
it's new so there are no reviews yet but expections are quite high.
And best of all it should fit you budget...
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 2:38 AM   #14

I have seen some shots taken with the new 18/200 lens on the internet and they look good with, for such a lens, good depth of field. This is certainly going to form part of my lens collection when prices have dropped a bitespecially for travelling. I then wonder if I am actually going to use the 17/55 and the 70/200 much once that is on the camera. Yes, a loss of wide aperture but for most purposes that one lens is going to be so useful not to mention the weight difference. Will it take a TC converter though? I doubt it.The two above lenses weigh 5lbs and the new 18/200 just a mere 1lb. That is a lot at the end of the day. It is already on sale at 17th St Photo (accredited Nikon agents)at $679.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:59 PM   #15

From what I gathered, I think these would make a great walk around lens....

28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=1961

17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=2147

I personally like the 2.8. It gives you good focus speed and able to shot in a bit lower light condition.

smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 2:57 AM   #16

I gather from your post that you don't actually own either of the two lenses. Believe me, if you have carried the D2X and 17/55 f2.8 for a day you will know all about it! In film days my everyday lens was the 24/120 and I firmly believe the 18/200 is going to be better than that. f2.8 is great in certain situations but f5.6-f8 is better in most that you will meet on a walk around. The sheer focal length is so useful too from landscape to portraiture and beyond for sport especially with the new VR2. No, on holiday my D70 will I am sure carry this lens all the time and the D2X will be reserved for specific purposes and lenses including the 17/55, 17/35 70/200 and 200/400. In my job I will no longer need to carry both bodies and two lenses when I pass a day in the pits- the 18/200 will suffice on the D2X. As you may have gathered, I have decided not to wait but have already ordered.