Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:09 PM   #1

I would like to get the new nikon d70s but there seems to be so many lens options. I found packages with nikon, tamron and sigma lenses but i'm having a hard time figuring out which brand is better? They all include the 28-80mm and 70-300mm.

Any opinions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
kurtisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2005, 8:16 AM   #2

It very much depends on the lenses all three make excellent quality lenses and also lower quality cheaper lenses. Ithink Nikon have the edge but only just as long as we are talking top of the range. With Nikon this tends to be the DX lenses, Sigma have their EX lenses and I'm not sure what Tamron call their quality range. From a quick browse of the web I don't think any of the 28-80 mm lenses are top of the range. The D70 kit lens the 18-70mm lens is a higher quality lens. My view is that you would be better getting the kit lens than a 28-80 lens.

However depending on your requirements it is likely that any of the lenses will give acceptable results.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 9:11 AM   #3

Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 2:57 PM   #4

I agree with Nagasakiabout the 18-70 kit lens that comes with the D70. For the price, it's a hard lens to beat and gives very good image quality. As your basic wide-medium zoom it's ideal. The Nikon 70-300 G lens I'm not too fond of. It's the plastic mount, I've seen several new ones back inmy localcamera shop with bits broken off the mounts where the buyers weren't too careful about how they fitted them to the camera. For that reason alone I'd go with a Tamron.
wingnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:04 PM   #5

That's good to know, thanks for the info. I think i'll just buy the camera with the 18-70 kit lens and then take some time and decide what other lenses i would like to get from there. I would eventually like a telephoto and a macro lens and it looks like there are a thousand options to consider for those as well.

Thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:18 AM   #6

If I may clarify, DX is what Nikon call theirrange of lenses that will only work on a dslr, because of the smaller image circle. EX is Sigma's high end range. DC is the sigma line of dslr lenses.

I don't know how Nikon define their high end range, but the 18-70 DX kit lens is definitely in! It's a great lens for the price (in the bundle I mean).

I got the 70-300G with my old F80 and am not impressed with it. Like the 28-80G I also got it's made entirely of plastic and feels pretty amateur. The zooming and focusing rings are loose and the focussing on the 70-300 really plods along slowly.

The other thing to look out for is maximum aperture. Most kit lenses are f3.5-f5.6 or similar. If you can afford an f2.8 throughout you'll really love it. More light, less motion blur, nice portraits...

Would definately recommend sigma lenses for a next purchase.
martinbishop is offline   Reply With Quote