Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:56 PM   #1

Hi could any one tell me if this is dust on my sensor or how to tell if it is, and secondly does it cost alot of money to get cleaned

thanks Brett

pics posted below.

bassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2005, 9:25 PM   #2

Hi,

I had dust on my D70 Low-Pass filter/sensor also. I bought one of those "CO2 lens cleaning systems" to safely remove it, total garbage in my opinion. I successfully sprayed a bunch of residue crap all over the sensor and no amount of wishing and praying would get it off. I finally resorted to the drastic measure of alcohol on a Q-tip. To my suprise (I'm obviously a risk taker), it worked quite nicely and with no trace of my being in there. The dust was gone and a blue sky "dust test shot" revealed a pure screen even scanning the image at 6X in PhotoImpact. I concluded that the low-pass filter isn't as delicate as thought. Disclaimer: I wouldn't recommend to anyone to touch the low-pass filter on a routine basis but, if you did and were very gentle and careful you just might save a trip to the shop. I did. In your case with it just being dust, I would consider getting a small/tiny paint brush and after cleaning and drying it in alcohol, use it to gently remove the dust from the sensor.

...Ed PS...your pics didn't post.
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 9:28 PM   #3

Thanks, Where is the sensory. It looks like a worm on the blue sky test.

Thanks to all
Attached Images

bassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:05 PM   #4

bassfisherman wrote:
Quote:
Where is the sensor
Hi,

The sensor is accessible by selecting "mirror Lock-Up" in the menu. Remove the lens, press the shutter button and the mirror will stay up revealing the low-pass filter (sensor). To return the mirror, turn the power switch off.

...Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 5:14 AM   #5

I've bought a large blower from a camera shot and use it on the sensor every time I change the lens. So far this seems to be working to keep the dust off. I'd suggest trying to blow the dust off before using anything to touch the sensor. Don't blow on it you'll probably get saliva on the sensor and if you use canned air be very careful to keep the can vertical, even then I'd be worried about getting globs of propellant on the sensor.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:17 AM   #6

I'm sorry Nagasaki but I change the lenses with the camera facing the ground, carry a bulb blower which I use all the time, but still got dust on the sensor, which, I removed with a Q tip and alcohol too. However, I am not sure that what I am seeing here is dust, more like a caterpillar! Dust appears like little dark circles in the sky, not like an elongated line, and I fear that there could be sensor damage here, although I sincerely hope not. Didn't Steve recommend a product on this site a while back in reply to a question on dustby the way?

On a general note, this is an ongoing problem with digital SLR's, and one that the manufacturers will have to address sometime, although I am not sure how. Some cameras have a vibration system built in to remove the dust.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:39 AM   #7

I don't doubt that eventually you're going to get gunk on the sensor that won't blow off. That doesn't change my advice though 'I'd suggest trying to blow the dust off before using anything to touch the sensor. '

I found a reference to a news item by Steve but it dates back to March and the link no longer works.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:09 PM   #8

Check this out.

I use this method and it works great!

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
colasteve is offline   Reply With Quote