Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 29, 2005, 2:16 PM   #1

YES - THIS IS A CROSS-POST. SORRY. JUST REALIZED THERE IS A SPECIFIC LENS FORUM. Couldn't find a way to move the post myself from the NIKON SLR forum. That said (no more SHOUTing now)...

Just bought the D50 kit. Have only had it for a couple days but am very happy with it. But, as I want to record sports photography that is often far from the beach where I'm photographing, I need a telephoto lens.

Any thoughts on the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm vs. other telephoto options?
My tendency is to go with this lens as it seems designed for this camera and its image sensor. The price is about right as my limit would probably be $400. I would like something that works well with the automated features of the camera (focus and whatever else).

Also, as this is my first digital SLR, what is the equivelant zoom atf the 200mm end? I thought I had read this was equiv. to a 7x zoom, but hoped it was a bit more (with all the 10X non-SLR cameras popping up).

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Since it is a new camera there are not a lot of production reviews or options on the camera or lenses. (other than the Ken Rockwell site for lens info)
-todd
toddjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:00 PM   #2

FYI -

I was about to buy this lens online, but ended up going into a local shop so I could get it faster. Good thing.

Got sold on the AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED instead. Sounds like a better lens. give an equiv of 450mm for digital, and with teh $50 rebate Nikon has on it now, its only $20 more than the 55-200mm.

I think its worth the difference even without the rebate.
toddjb is offline   Reply With Quote