Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 10, 2005, 4:45 AM   #1

dear people.
i'm going to buy a d70s shortly (probably the kit with the (17-70) and though i still have some old lenses from my old f601, i'm probably going to sell most of them on ebay. the big question now are there some lenses i should keep? i'd be very grateful for your (experienced) comments. my lenses are:
* nikon 35-80mm, 1/4-5.6 (first to go, i guess)
* nikon 50mm, 1/1.8
* tokina 70-210mm, 1/4-5.6
* sigma 28-105mm aspherical, 1/2.8-4
many thanks already...
frank74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2005, 4:01 AM   #2

You have a lot of lenses with overlapping focal lengths. You must have had a reason for buying each of these and I would expect those reasons to hold true with digital. If you buy the 17-70 kit lens that gives you wide angle on the D70 and replaces the 35-80.The only other lens you need to keepis the 70-210 which picks up where the kit lens leaves off. The question has to be what does the 50mm and the 280105 give you that the 70-210 doesn't. Which lenses do you use now because those are the lenses you'll use on the D70.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:06 AM   #3
NHL

You might also want to consider if you want to keep the film camera as backup in which case the 'kit' lens might not be backward compatible... but your Sigma does
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:34 AM   #4

The question is - are they worth selling? They won't fetch much and might come in handy sometime. I would certainly keep the 50mm F1.8 for its' potential in low light. I have loads of old Nikon lenses here from 500mm to the 24/120 which still work but which are worth next to nothing.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 2:35 PM   #5

many thanks!
yes, you're right - most won't fetch much (at least according to similar ebay auctions i've followed last week). the "best selling" one is the sigma and i must say it was also my favourite lens. nevertheless, i don't plan to move back to analog in the next few years, so i guess i'll just jump into the water.
i think the 50mm will stay. and i also probably wait with the 70-210mm. it's been one of my cheapest, yet i would like to see how it performs on the d70.
nevertheless i'll be grateful for further remarks as i will probably wait for the weekend to put them into ebay...
frank74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:13 PM   #6

Many of the analogue lenses work on a digital body so there is no problem there. My 75/300 old cheapo Nikon I bought 15? years back still gives info and works on AF. The only lens that won't give me any information is the 500 mirror lens where I can't even get exposure details, yet I posted a photo of the moonhere in February when I putthe lenson the D 70 and it is clear as a bell. I have no idea of what exposure or aperture I used for that particular photo(I had had a few beers by 2amand just fired away taking about 50 shots)but whatever it is one of the crispest hand held night photos I have ever taken. My 24/120 works, my 80/200 works, and old prime lenses work, and since the value is zilch I keep them and amuse myself from time to time. Speaking of which, if you think old gear is of no value, look at the 2nd hand value of a D70 on its own! I've seen them at $150. So much for advancing technology. What value my one week old D2X? Probably $2,500 or thereabouts.

Keep 'em and have fun.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote