Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:51 PM   #1

Hello,

I am new to dSLRs so talk to me like I don't know anything.... because I dont. I just bought a D70s kit and I want to get a telephoto lens somewhere in the 70-200/300 range give or take.Whatis the absolute best lense I can get forunder $400 (the more under the better)? Versatility is good causeItake pictures everywhere in all lighting conditions. Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks!

grphxpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:39 PM   #2

Update: While looking at reviews, I came across the Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC. It got good reviews and is dirt cheap at about $130-145. Sounds too good to be true. Has anybody used it and is there any reason to pay the extra to get something like the Nikkor 70-300mm D? All the reviews for the more expensive 70-300mm lenses are not as good and none seem to stay sharp past 200-220mm anyway.
grphxpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:13 PM   #3

Sigma make some excellent lenses on a par with the Nikon lenses or nearly. They also make some not so good cheap lenses as do Nikon. The best of the Sigma lenses are the EX range. Likewise the Tokina AT-X lenses are their quality range.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote