Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:29 PM   #1

I have a D50 with kit lens and 70-300mm G.

I am planning to obtain for this trip a 12-24mm and 24-70mm (or 18-70mm) and 80-200mm Nikon lens, will this cover my needs?

Is there a better lens combo for this trip?

Thanks for your suggestions

Rgds
jobi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2005, 4:16 PM   #2

Your lens selection is nice, but you have quite a lot of overlap. You really only need 3 of the 5 lenses to cover any shooting situation you will encounter, the 12-24, 24-70, and the 70-300. Do you expect to be shooting any landscapes that would require a wide angle?? If not, you could get away with 2 lenses, the 18-70 and the 70-300. The less lenses, the less decisions you have to make, and the less lens changing. I don't really see the need to have 5 lenses when 2 or 3 will do the trick.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 6:25 PM   #3

Actually these 3 lens will replace my first combo and be my only lens, however I really don't like the idea of carrying too much weight and have to admit being attracted by the sigma 18-200mm and SB600 flash combo as only rig to carry around. When I made the change from fz20 to Dslr I really wanted to stay away from the lens wish list nonsense, look at me now trying every lens on the market. I guess my needs are the same as everyone, making sharp photos and covering the 18-200mm range @ the lowest cost. I am trying to make photography more about ART and less about compromises, but as I see it the manufacturers have it all figured out. Why the need to ask those who's been there don that and knows better!

Thanks for the help

Rgds
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:07 AM   #4

I'm not a big fan of superzooms, ie 18-200, that try to cover every focal length. Yes they are convenient, and reduce what you have to carry, but I find these lenses typically have lots of distortion issues throughout the entire zoom range, and aren't as sharp as primes and smaller ranged zooms. It doesn't take too much extra space to carry two lenses, and is often no more expensive to purchase the two lenses as opposed to the one superzoom.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:22 PM   #5

I understand you are right, but still they are very attractive to (in my case) the lazy photographer or those with dust on sensor obsession, in both case a matter of inexperience I admit. However if none ever purchased zoom lens, Nikon and Canon would still be producing primes only, and those few and far between excellent zooms would have never seen the light. This alone is reason to obtain none perfect zoom and support progress.

It's your and others experience that allows peoples like me to avoid extra expenses and keep food in the refrigerator for the kids. Never underestimate the value of experience.

I got plenty of good advise on this site

Thanks

Rgds
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:35 PM   #6

I would tend to agree that the quality of zooms is ever improving, and in reality has rendered primes somewhat obsolete because primes are not as convenient to use. I have a zoom on my body 95% of the time, only using my 50mm prime for portrait work or where I need the extra stop or two of speed (which isn't terribly often, as current DSLR's produce usable images at 800 and even 1600 ISO). As long as you're not doing critical work, a superzoom will suffice. You are correct in worrying about dust on the sensor, especially in a safari environement. I didn't mean to sound as if superzooms are not useful, or not of high quality. They are incredibly convenient, and if one is mindful of their limitations (especially at their extremes) they will produce very good images. If you want to save some money, your kit lens will fetch you good trade in value at an online vendor like KEH, making your super zoom more affordable.