Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:51 PM   #1

Hello all,

I was wondering if this Tameron lens would work with my TC-20 tele converter. I have only used this tele converter with my Nikon 70-200 VR and never tried it with any other lens. Does anyone have the TC-20 and have tried to use it with a non Nikon lens? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Cdteo

Tacoma, WA
cdteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:54 PM   #2

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Obviously you'll lose a couple of stops of light, af will be very slow, an image quality will suffer especially at longer lengths.You'll also have to keep in mind the new focal length with the 1.5 crop factor wil be94-900, meaning a tripod or at theleast very fast shutter speeds(greater then 1/1000) in order to minimize camera shake. I do know the digital only lenses cannot be used with converters.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:14 PM   #3

rjseeney : Can you tell me If I can use de Nikon extention tube PK-13 27.5 on the D70 witht the kit lens 18/70 mm and how to fixed, because I try en manual mode and is not working. Carlitin
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:49 PM   #4

You cannot use a teleconverter with any of the DX digital lenses. You can actually damage the elements on the digital lenses becausewhen zooming out the rear element of the lens can bang up against the front element of the converter. In reality your better off buying one of the old SLR kit lenses, like the 28-80 as they are quite inexpensive ($60-$80 from KEH) and would provide better image quality, and faster AF without loss of light than a TC could provide.

Nikon doesn't really make a converter to use with Zoom lenses that retains AF anyway. Converters were popular when everyone shot with primes, before zooms became popular and affordable. When you think about, it really doesn't make sense to use a converter with any zoom lens. There are many drawbacks that make this undesirable. Loss of image quality, slow focusing, losing 2 stops of light, etc make this an unattractive proposition.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote