Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:09 AM   #1

I recently ordered the Nikon D50 with the Nikon AF-S DX 18-70mm lens. I'm now looking for a lens that I can use in a museum / art gallery where I cannot use a flash. At first I was looking at the Nikon AF 50mm F1.8D for the price however the store rep. suggested the Nikon AF 60mm F2.8D Macro. He said that this lens is great for portraits, low-light (museum / art gallery) and of course can also do Macro.

Any comments?

Also, what extension tube(s) can be used with the Nikon D50?

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:08 AM   #2

It's a great macro lens. It is abouut 1.5 stops slower than the 50 so not as good in low light. That said the D50 has a minimum ISO of 200 and is usable to at least 400 so it depends on how low the light is. Have you used anoth camera in this situation and, if so,what ISO lens combination did you use?
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:24 PM   #3

Nagasaki : Can you tell me if I can use the D70 with a extension tube PK-13 27.5 and the 18/70 mm ???? and how to doit. bacause I try, but de D70 said F- - - - - and don┬Ęt shot the pic. Carlitin :?
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:49 AM   #4

Never used extension tubes on my D70 but I've taken a look at the manual.

It says you can use the PK series extension tubes but only in manual and the meter won't work. The F-- message means you haven't got the camaera set to Manual.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:10 PM   #5

Tthe d50 can easily be use at iso1600 with very good results, I have plenty of good shots at high iso, even with the kit lens.

Attached Images

jobi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:22 PM   #6

Iso1600 hand held at 20mm 1/5sec f/4 kit lens 18-55mm it was dark, much more then the photo shows.
The gentlemen in the white shirt is a pro photographer, I could barely see him when I took the shot, he couldn't believe the result I got with the d50. any prime will give you excellent shots with this camera.

Sure its not that sharp but no noise!
Attached Images

jobi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 7:22 AM   #7

Nagasaki : I ask to a nikon camera technik, hou to use the PK-13 extension tube and he tell me to put douwn the small pin downside in the front of the camerabody. with some ruber. so....I can use de extension tube..... but, is importante to put all in Manual and a lottttttttttttttttttt of light, if not will come dark. Here is the pic of Nikon body. Carlitin :O
Attached Images

Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote