Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:01 PM   #1

I have narrowed my list of cameras to 3; the Nikon being one of them. While the other cameras I am looking at would be bought as a kit (Maxxum 5d or Olympus E500), the Nikon would bebought as "body onlY". This reflects comments I have read, recommending the d70's base lens to the D50. The main downside of this is this combination becomes more expensive than either of the other two kits I am looking at.

My intent is to have a versatile, every day lense for family photos andmy son's activities (playground, karate, etc) without being overly heavy or bulky.It will be used both indoors and outdoors. Photos are likely to be cropped by up to 30-40% witha maximum size of 8X10.Would you recommend the d70 kit lense over the 18-55mm lense? Is there a comparablequality & priced lense with slightly more zoom?Is there a Nikon option that is reasonably priced? Any thoughts on the sigma 18-125MM?

For thesecond lense I would like to have a macro lense,primarily tophotograph art, small objects & jewelry. I currently use a small P&S for macro and the results are fair. Overall, this lense wouldget a lot less use than the everyday lense. Can you recommend a cost effectivelense that would still outperform a non-macro lense?

macct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:02 PM   #2

The 18-70 is certainly the better lens. However, the kit lens is quite serviceable and matched with the 55-200 will provide a lightweight set that will cover most shooting situations. By adding a few magnifying filters (+1, +2 etc) you'll have decent macro capability, without the expense of a dedicated macro lens.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3

It sounds from your comments you would advocate the 2 lense kit vs.18-70mm lense from the D70. Their total cost with the body would be very similar. Is the added range more beneficial than quality?What lense would you likely use more often?Would you recommend any otherNikon lense for everyday use?

I like the suggestion about the macro filters. It seems like an inexpensive way to test the waters. thank you again.

Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:02 AM   #4

Quote:
It sounds from your comments you would advocate the 2 lense kit vs.18-70mm lense from the D70
Not necessarily. If you're looking for the best image and build quality, the 18-70 is definitely the better choice. However, based on your shooting...playground, karate etc I think the extra reach would serve you well. It's better to be able to get tighter with zoom (or physically closer) than to shoot wider and crop later to a tighter composition. You could also throw in a 50mm 1.8 that you can find used for $60-$80, for those tougher indoor conditions. For a beginner, I don't think you would really notice a difference in quality from the kit lenses to the 18-70. I think you'll appreciate being able to cover every shooting situation more than a little dip in quality.

My every day lens is an older slr lens, the 24-85mm d lens. Any of the slr lenses in this range are still lightweight, and give you a little more reach. I don't do a lot of wide shooting so I don't miss not having it (although I've got it covered with other lenses). Check out KEH...they've got many lenses available at great prices.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:06 AM   #5

Thank you for the additional advice and thetip on Keh. I looked atthe selection of usedlenses. They havetwo series of the 24-85mm. I assume the more expensive, f2.8 if the one you are referencing? Given the Fstop,I assume its quicker thaneither of the kit lenses.

I like the idea of a bit more reach &convenience of not swapping out a lense. I will probablyfeel more adventuresome once I get some experience. I have been confused by the comments on the Sigma/Tamron18-125/200mm.They seem to have polarizing comments, so I decided I should look for asmaller reach than those.

In terms of the kit lenses, its still a toss up, primarily because of use. When I was using a simulator it seems most of the time of selected shots b/w 50-100mm, so that may sway me overto the 2 lense kit since the smaller lense would probably be used less. the hard part is Ireally don't know.

I do appreciate the advice & comments. Its helping move me along in my decision making.