Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 14, 2003, 2:44 PM   #1

Default Lens for D100

:?: Money aside what would be the best single lens for the Nikon D100?
ronlcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2003, 3:25 PM   #2

Default tough to say

Without knowing your shooting style and preferences, that's almost impossible to answer.

If you want a good general purpose lens to get started, try the Nikkor AF 28-105/3.5-4.5D IF. It's an inexpensive lens by Nikkor standards, but is legendary in it's sharpness and color. It's considered a "must have" by many Nikon users.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh3.sph/...ID=F391B4465F0

Tim
TimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 3:28 PM   #3

I am particularily interested in capturing action pics and the ability to stay focused on one particular moving object as well as general portriat and senic photography.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 3:57 PM   #4

Default Here's is one person's opinion on Nikkors

Personally I take his descriptions with a grain of salt, but he's in the ballpark.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm

Tim
TimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 4:47 PM   #5

I agree with TimP's comments. Some of what Ken Rockwell says seem a bit off some times. I don't think he's "wrong" its just that his needs/perspective doesn't match mine. He does have lots more experience than I do, though.

ronlcox:

You need to give a lot more information. How far away is the action? What is the subject? How fast is it moving? How much light? Can you handle a heavy lens?

Here is my mostly inexperienced thoughts. Note that since price is no object, I'll ignore anything but Nikon lenses.

It sounds like you require AF-S. The D100 isn't the fastest of focusing body, so you should give it as much help as possible.

IF is handy, as it doesn't cause your filter to turn when you focus the lens. Many times this doesn't matter... but when it does you need it.

If it's low light, then you'll probably want an f/2.8 lens. The problem is that those get heavy, large and very expensive quickly. You'll want a good tripod to hold that large lens, too.

The new 70-200 VR lense is getting very favorable talk. But I've read the expected price will be around $1,600USD. (Sucks, as in the UK, it's the equivalent of around $800USD.) But that might not have the reach you need. And I don't expect it to hit the US in quality for a month or more (completely uninformed opinion.)

The 80-400 VR might be too slow. I've heard nice things about it if its limitations work for you (no AF-S, no IF, f/4.5-5.6.. which limits the AF ability a bit on the long end.)

People speak very well of the 300/f2.8, and the 400/f2.8 is even better. but you could buy a used car for the price of those lenses, and they are heavy and big.

Check out this site for "raw numbers" reviews. I haven't use it much, but others on more "pro" heavy sites talk about it a bit:

http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 5:17 PM   #6

Am not interested in shooting long distance, i.e., a football field. Closer objects would be mostly what I would be shooting. Also would want it for an all around lens as I am a pure amature. It would need to be tough as a like to shoot outdoors in vacations and weekend trips. I have been looking at the AF-S 28-70 f/2.8. Is that overkill or make no difference if I can afford it?
Old Feb 15, 2003, 12:22 AM   #7

ronlcox

That is why we ask. Sorry my initial info wasn't helpful. Maybe this be better....

Do you mean this lens:
Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S

I found 3 very positive review and one fairly bad one. Could the bad be from a bad lens? It's an expensive lens ($1,459.95 USD at adorama)... I guess you meant is when you said "money aside". From what I've read, the downsides everyone mentioned were that its big and heavy. So you should check it out in person before considering it. Its *very* fast focusing and almost everyone says is very good to amazing optically.

If you don't need the f2.8, you can do very well with something $900+ less. I've read some nice things about the AF-Nikkor 28-105 mm f/3.5-4.5 IF.

For some lens reviews, check out:
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom.html

and
http://www.bythom.com/nikon.htm

and
http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html

and

http://www.digital-images.net/Lenses/lenses.html
(the negitive one)

I could throw out more, if you care. Get the idea I've been reading about lenses recently?
Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 12:47 PM   #8

You could also consider AFS 24-85 f/3.5-4.5, not a fast lens (ie only f/4.5 at the far end), but it's fast focusing lens on multicam900 camera (F80, F65, D100). It's fast internal motor work just fine when tracking movement. The price is also good, around 340 bucks in my country.
gared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 12:41 PM   #9

Default I'll second the 24-85 AFS-G

Used it when it first came out on my N80 and now I have a new one to go along with the D100. Remember, if you're shooting digital, slower apertures are no longer as much as a challenge because...TA-DA...you can now change your ISO on the fly! One of the great things about the D100 is it's excellent low-noise performance even at high ISO, so I have no reservations at shooting at 1600 - and there are many affordable third-party noise reduction software packages out there if the noise is really apparent to your eye.
Covey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 12:23 PM   #10

I have a D1X bought when they first came out summer of 2001 and four lenses for it. Last summer I also added a D-100 body so that I wouldn't have to change lenses quite so often. It soon became very apparent that lugging around that heavy camera plus lenses plus flash was not only a physical "bear" but gross overkill. What I needed for a lot of my photo situations was one, decent, wide-range zoom.

In researching many of the photography, lens and even pro-photography forums, I quickly learned that there are few good wide-range zooms. However, one lens kept coming up as being recommended for single lens use. That was the Tokina ATX-242AF-N, a 24-200 mm f/3.5-5.6. I was dubious, but it was only $300 at B&H Photo and I just figured "I didn't have much to lose" even if it proved to be a dog.

I've now taken thousands of pictures with it on both bodies. That lens is a bargain marvel. If it has faults, they must be outside the sensor area on the digicams because the pictures with it have been just great! I close friend bought one for his new D-100 on my recommendation and he loves his too. It is just so nice at times to only carry the camera and one lens and be able to zoom from wide angle to telephoto without changing lenses (and probably loosing the shot while doing so!) Remember, that on the D's this is a 36 to 300 mm lens, in equivalent 35mm camera terms. I do sometimes throw my Nikon 18-35 (small and light) into the gadgetbag with the camera and flash, but often just take the camera and Tokina alone.

If you would like to see pictures taken with it, you can go to my Yahoo photo web site. Most of the pictures in the album from the Wooden Boat Festival in Huron, OH were taken with the Tokina on my D1X, many from the exact same spot zooming from wide to telephoto. The Michigan album, from Kensington Park/Kent Lake, which we visited early last October, were all taken with the D-100 with the Tokina if the filenames begin with DSC. There are a few pictures at the end which begin with the letter P which were taken by my brother with my Olympus D-550 pocket-carry-with-you-everywhere camera.

Here is the URL: http://photos.yahoo.com/commodore_don

Best wishes on finding what you are looking for!

Don Emery
Don_Emery is offline   Reply With Quote