Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 14, 2003, 8:19 PM   #1

Default 28-85 AFS

Any examples of pics with this lens on a D100? Opinions welcomed, would like all the info I can get before I buy.
ronlcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:12 PM   #2

Default It's a nice lens...

I have a friend that shoots one as his primary lens and he's very happy with it. I have used it a few times and it's sharp with good color.

However, we both decided after long deliberation to avoid the D100 and bought S2 Pros instead.

It would be a great lens on the D100 as well, there is no doubt, but I have no examples.

Tim
TimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:43 PM   #3

Why the S2Pro over the D100?
ronlcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:33 PM   #4

Default A few reasons...

They are both great cameras. The S2 has a simpler user interface and better access to the most used functions. Also higher resolution, and more natural images straight from the camera. The D100 is more neutral and the images require more post processing for many people's taste. I don't mind PP for images that will benefit from it, but don't want it to be a requirement.

Tim
TimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 2:10 PM   #5

Default Fujifilm S2 Pro is better than the D100

The Fujifilm S2 Pro is better than the D100.

1) The S2 Pro has true higher resolution than the D100. The 12 megapixel files it produces have the equivalent resolution to a 9 megapixel CCD - far higher than the D100's 6 megapixels.

2) The S2 Pro has much lower noise than the D100. You can do much better low light photography and long exposures with the S2 Pro than the D100. Its noise level is as good or better than the Canon D60.

3) Flash photography capability is better. The D100 can't use non-digital flashheads because it can't do TTL metering. You have to purchase Nikon's 80dx or 50 dx flashheads. Fuji solved that problem. Thus you can use a regular SB28 flashhead. The D100 has problems metering flash. The S2 Pro has a regular PC Sync Terminal for external studio flash. The D100 does not.

4) The S2 Pro has firewire. The D100 does not. Firewire allows you to quickly and directly save your shots onto a computer, giving you the capability of instant review on a large screen of your photo. It allows you to also remotely control the camera via the computer. You can thus skip saving the photo onto a flash card. This is great for studio work.

5) The S2 Pro may have a better user interface on the camera for settings.

The one particular objection to the S2 Pro is that you need to use a non-rechargeable battery in addition to the rechargeable AA NIMH batteries in order to have its full capabilities (i.e. the use of the built-in flash). However, regular film cameras all use nonrechargeable batteries, and have done so for years. Yes you have to purchase extra batteries. But coming from a film-based camera, this is no biggie. Also, you can use the S2 Pro without the non-rechargeable battery. Start it up without the non-rechargeable battery. It then uses the rechargeable AA batteries for everything except its built-in flash - which is of no use if you already use external flashes.

One note though: I'm holding off on purchasing a new DSLR until I hear news of the new DSLRs at PMA 2003. For example, the new Canon D90 is suppose to come out. It is rumored to be 8 megapixels and based on the EOS 3 body - thus it may have excellent autofocus (the greatest weakness of the D60). Hopefully the sensor is also a full-framed one like the EOS 1Ds. I don't know what Nikon is going to do to counter this.
marianco is offline   Reply With Quote