Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 3, 2005, 2:21 PM   #1

Looking to purchase a Nikon D70s - There are two kits that I can afford. One comes with two lenses: AF-S DX 18-70mm Lens and AF 70-300mm G LENS ... The other comes with one lens: 55-200 mm ED Lens

I will use this camera some for indoor action photography (volleyball matches) - which kit should I go for?

Thanks in advance....
hkoyuncu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:08 AM   #2

The first one, for sure. :-)

Rudolf.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:16 AM   #3

orion999 wrote:
Quote:
The first one, for sure. :-)

Rudolf.
thanks... that's the one i've been leaning towards too
Old Nov 6, 2005, 5:28 PM   #4

Hopefully there are good lights in the volleyball arena because none of the mentioned lenses are particularly fast.
First kit is better in every way so go for it and see if it meets your purposes.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:50 AM   #5

Indoors without flash - not a chance with either unless you push the ISO so far you'll only have grain. This subject has come up so many times and there is unfortunately only one or two lenses that will really work and they cost money - big money. The only hope I see is perhaps the new 18/200 Nikkor with VR2 which gives up to four stops advantage. This is a reasonably priced lens (circa $700) for what you get. Otherwise the lenses you will need must have a minimum aperture of F2.8 and preferably wider like f1.8 or f1.4. such as the 50mm and 85mm. I have used the 70/200 F2.8 VRIFED in low light and even this lens at the price it is isn't that brilliant even wide open. The 85mm f1.4 is just brilliant but, as said, too expensive. Incidentally my avatar was taken with the 70/200 and the SB800 flash at 25yds just to show how difficult evening/night photography is.

Sorry to put a dampener on things but it is better to know in advance than to have expectations that can't be met. Hold out for the new 18/200 - it's your only hope on a limited budget and a damned fine lens from what I have seen so far on the internet.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:52 AM   #6

I had my first try this weekend - compared to what I was able to do with my Coolpix 8800, everything came out pretty good with the 18/70mm lensm especially for a first try. Used it without any zoom for the most part since I am close enough to the action - sports shooting mode at 800ISO. I will fiddle some with the settings to see what the optimum is. However, I've been pleased with the initial results.

Is the 50mm f1.8 worth paying $100 for since I don't need the zoom and it'd probably be faster to focus or should I just save it towards a better lens when I can afford it?

Thanks for the input!
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:08 PM   #7

50mm f1.8 is quality lens, one of the best nikkors, but AF is slow.
For it's price 50mm f1.8 is superb lens, however with DX cameras 50mm becomes not so useful ~75mm.

Ps.
VR won't do much good when shooting indoor sports as it only eliminates camera shake,
fast moving targets require high shutter speeds and that can only be obtained by higher ISO or faster lens (or flash).

Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:46 AM   #8

What about 50mm f1.4? I am not worried about zoom since I am taking pics from sidelines, I just need as fast alens as I can afford- the 85mm f1.4 I just can't afford at this point though it looks like it is the one that I really need.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:54 AM   #9

All the old AF lenses have quite slow focus on current "mainstream" cameras,
especially when they are compared against really fast focusing AF-S lenses.
Photo Zone: Lens Performance Survey is a good page to search subjective lens performance data.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:06 PM   #10

Since I am very new into SLR photography, I think I will give the kit lens some time, figure out what I can and I can't do with it - it looks like the 85mm f1.4 is the one I should get, maybe I will start saving for that

Thanks for all the input!