Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:13 PM   #1

I was searching ebay out of interest and found this. http://cgi.ebay.ca/NIKON-70-300mm-f4...QQcmdZViewItem

Seems to be a good deal, i may order it and a body and no kit lense, would the image quality of it be better then kit? I dont really know anything about lenses

Thanks
mattisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:26 PM   #2

That lens is not a bad lens...not top of the line, but not horrible either. This is typically a second lens. Because of its long focal length (105-450mm after the crop factor) it doesn't make a good walkaround lens. If you're looking at the D70, the kit lens is a better everyday choice...you get wide angle and a moderate zoom, and will handle most situations. The 70-300 would make a decent 2nd lens for those times when you need a little more reach. The 18-70 is very well regarded for a kit lens.

In terms of image quality, whenever a lens has a wide zoom range, image quality typically suffers on the extreme ends of the zoom and will be noticeably soft when shooting wide open. As long as you shoot at f/8 or f/11 you should get acceptably sharp results.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:28 PM   #3

What would be a lense to look out for that will provide sharp results and not set me back to much?

mattisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:49 AM   #4

As I said, if you're looking at the D70, the kit lens should serve you well. It is one of the better kit lenses that Nikon has ever released. If you're looking at the D50, the kit lens (the 18-55) is also ok, although the build quality and handling is not quite as good as the 18-70.

If we knew your budget, we could give you some more detailed info.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:45 PM   #5

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
As I said, if you're looking at the D70, the kit lens should serve you well. It is one of the better kit lenses that Nikon has ever released. If you're looking at the D50, the kit lens (the 18-55) is also ok, although the build quality and handling is not quite as good as the 18-70.

If we knew your budget, we could give you some more detailed info.

Couldn't agree more I made the mistake of buying the D50 with both kit lenses and whilethe 55-200 is more than acceptable however the 18-55 is just ok. I recently brought a 18-70 from E-bay brand new and it is a hell of a lot more lens and considering the price difference is not huge well worth the upgrade to me. I also have a Sigma 70-300 Macro APO arriving in the next couple of days and if this proves to be as good as I hope, it will be replacing the 55-200 and both the kit lenses will be going on E-Bay.

In hindsight I should have brought the D50 body on its own and selected my own lenses still we live and learn.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:58 PM   #6

Optically, the two lens kit for the D50 is good....not great, but still good. The main issues with these lenses are handling and build quality. They have that cheap, plastically feel and are missing a few features (internal focusing, etc.) However, they are inexpensive and provide a nice, light usable focal range and provide decent bang for the buck. Again, as long as you shoot a little stopped down, and avoid the extremes, they will provide good image quality. Theyare defintely targeted at the beginning DSLR user, and complement the D50 well. I don't think they are bad choices, especially when considering thetarget market