Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:59 PM   #1

Has anyone purchased a used lens from either B&H Photo or Adorama Photo?

A lens I am interested is listed on Adorama in "V" condition, which they list as having heavier signs of wear, but works mechanically fine with no scratches on the lens.

I have no problems with the lens not looking brand new if the lens is still capable of taking good pictures. Any thoughts or personal experiences?

A good way for me to save some money so that I can get a head start on saving for some really nice glass. Thanks! --K
kmancpbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:30 PM   #2

They are both reputable dealers. I have never bought any used items from either, though I have made purchases from both. I have bought several used lenses from KEH, and I can tell you their ratings are quite conservative....everything I have gotten from them has been better than described.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:33 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.....the used lenses will allow me to go the dSLR route most likely
kmancpbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:43 PM   #4

I've also purchased from KEH recently and their grading system is EXTREMELY conservative. I purchased a Tamron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD for $144 (SRP = $799, Street = $399). It was their "Bargain" grade, one notch up from their worst grade and listed as "75-79% original". Other than one spec of dust under the front glass i would swear that it's a new lens. It included both front and back caps as well as the original hood. They don't have a retail storefront but they still let me pick it up at their office/warehouse. They also have good over-the-phone assistance, helping me distinguish between lenses that would and wouldn't work w/ my D50 (not sure what would keep a standard F-Mount CPU AF lens from working, but oh well).

I'm in the same position as you and this let me get into dSLR with a lens that will cover 95% of any sittuation i'll find myself in at a VERY significant savings. Coming from high-zoom point and shoot digitals it's hard to give up all that zoom, now I don't have to and don't have to break the bank either!
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote