Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:32 PM   #1

I just purchased a D70 which came with a nikkor 28-105af and i am also thinking about buying a longer zoom. I have the opportunity to buy either a nikkon 70-300 g seriesor else a Tamron 28-300 for about the same price (under 150 bucks). The price is fairly cheap and i have read a few reviews and both seem to have their fans and detractors out there, but I am undecided.

Can anyone shed and input on which they feel is the better choice?

(im leaning towards the nikon just to keep all my equipment the same breed but for no other reason)
robertmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:06 PM   #2

I too was looking at getting a longer zoom at a minimal cost for my D50. The Nikon G lens was an option I was looking at as well, but having talked to a few more experienced users, the concensus seemed to be that for a few more dollars you can do much better than the G lens. I opted instead for the Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 APO DG lens for about $30.00 more. Much better construction, glass, etc. My two cents.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:05 PM   #3

I have the tamron 28-300 lens, I bought it to complement my Nikon 15-28 that came with my D50. One thing that i like about the focal length of the tamron is that im not changeing lenses all the time to get differnt shots. Reduces the chance of getting dust on my sensor and it covers everything pretty well. it focuses pretty fast and takes great pictures. I pretty much just leave that lens on all the time. The price sounds pretty good. It would probaly be nice to keep it all Nikon though if you have the chance. They only had the Nikkor 70-200 at my store so i went with the tamron.
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:53 PM   #4

I have the Tamron 28-300 and have enjoyed it to date. Quick to focus and takes pretty good pictures. I will attach a few recent photos taken with my D50 and Tamron 28-300.
Attached Images

mattroth54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:54 PM   #5

Another
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:56 PM   #6

Another
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:57 PM   #7

Last one
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2006, 4:33 PM   #8

Those are nice shoots.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 4:43 PM   #9

Here's one I took with my 28-300 on my D50..
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:57 PM   #10

Depending on what version of the Tamron 28-300mm you're able to get I'd say go that route, especially if you want to keep a single lens on the camera most of the time (easiest way to keep the sensor and inside dust free). I was able to get the Tamron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD (next-to-newest model) for $144 used from KEH. It was their "Bargain" grade (next to lowest grade) and other than one piece of dust under the front gladd I would swear it is brand new. Other than possibly adding a 50mm F/1.8 lens for low light and indoor shooting I'd say the Tamron 28-300mm will stay on my D50 95% of the time.

Some of the older pre-XR and non-IF versions have smaller aperature (F/3.8 instead of F/3.5) and tend to "hunt" a bit more. You can easily identify these as having a large smooth plastic zoom ring instead of the shorter ruberized zoom ring grip (as well as obviously having markings signifying what version).
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote