Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 20, 2006, 2:23 AM   #1

Yesterday my Nikon 18-200mm VRII lens arrived. I want to attach a CP filter. As I hjave a pretty expensive B+W filter, I'd like to use that on my new lens. Thing is, this CP filter has only a 67mm diameter, while the lens actually needs a 72mm filter. I know of the existence of these step down rings that can do this.

What I am worried about, is wether vignetting will occur. Especially when the lens is set to wide.

Anybody with experience here?
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 6:24 AM   #2

I generally would not recommend using a filter that has a smaller diameter than the lens you will be using it on. You probably won't have any issues on the long end of the range, but you'll likely see vignetting on the wide end of your lens.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 6:32 AM   #3

Dee-ehn wrote:
Quote:
What I am worried about, is wether vignetting will occur. Especially when the lens is set to wide.

Anybody with experience here?
No actual experience, but I have a strong gut feeling that you will have some problems here. 72mm-67mm is a pretty big leap; I'm almost certain that you will have some serious vignetting - at least at the wide setting and maybe well into the zoom range as well.

I can understand your desire to use your tried and tested CP on your new lens. Right now I'm considering whether some55mm accessories from another camera will be of any use with my 58mm 28-80 and 70-300 lenses. Neither of these are outstanding lenses, but I am concerned with vignetting as well. In your case, the 18-200 is such a nice piece of glass, I'd get a good filter to go along with it.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote