Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 20, 2006, 1:23 PM   #1

I intend to buy the Nikon D50, should I buy the kit lens or buy the body alone and buy another lens instead of the kit one. If so wich one ?

:?
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 3:32 PM   #2

There's a new (or at least new to me)web site, slrgear.com, thatspecializes inslr lenses. You may want to check them out to see what they suggest. FWIW

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 6:47 AM   #3

Hi!

If you want NOT to change lenses, try a Tamron 18/200mm zoom lens, with Nikon mount.

With this lens, you will cover 99% all your photos, & your sensor will still clean, as you WILL NOT NEED to change lenses.

My 2.5cent advise!

Good Luck!

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 7:35 AM   #4

It depend on what you want to do with your D50. I got my D50 with the kit lens (they wont sell the body without kit lens).

I bought Nikkor VR 80-400 for birding. Very happy with the lens. I also bought Micro-Nikkor 60mm for macro photography. I use it to photograph insects and quite happy with the lens.

The kit lens is good but I have no use for 18-55 mm lens. I use it as paper weight!

The picture was taken with the D50 with Nikkor VR 80-400 handheld, no tripod.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 7:49 AM   #5

Bravo Ruchai!

Lovely photo...however...as I already wrote...to keep the "Sensor" clean...my advise is to acquire the 18/200mm Tamron or Sigma or Tokina, as the newer same lens from Nikon be 100% sure with the "Newer" VR-2 will cost at least twice or more that the "Compatible"...brands WITH NO VR stabilizer! For better "Stabilizing"...matter...a Monopod will be cheaper & much efective that the VR-2...of course...I agree LESS easy to carry!

Cheers,

ALEX 007:|
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:41 AM   #6

Thanks for your kind words about my picture, Alex. But I think he will have to know what he will use the camera for. These DSLRs are so versatile that they can be use for many things. If I do not take macro I would have glued the 80-400 VR to the D50.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:00 AM   #7

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your kind words about my picture, Alex. But I think he will have to know what he will use the camera for. These DSLRs are so versatile that they can be use for many things. If I do not take macro I would have glued the 80-400 VR to the D50.
Sure you have some points there, but don't forget that it's not just the VR2 technology that makes the price. I really never used the Tamron lens (read some reviews as I wanted to get one once), but I think that there'll be quite a difference in the quality if the glass and build as well. My guess would be that VR2 technology justifies an additional $150-200?
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:10 AM   #8

Hi Dee-ehn!

Maybe...but I'm NOT 100% sure that Tamron is so bad...of course, owning an a 100% matched/originally Nikkor zoom lens; is better...+ improved VR, but not yet was released, for sure will be released together with the new D-200...so we all soon will be able to read reviews on this lens.

Cheers,

Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:16 AM   #9

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dee-ehn!

Maybe...but I'm NOT 100% sure that Tamron is so bad...of course, owning an a 100% matched/originally Nikkor zoom lens; is better...+ improved VR, but not yet was released, for sure will be released together with the new D-200...so we all soon will be able to read reviews on this lens.

Cheers,

Well... the Tamron isn't that bad a lens, considering the price. It's just that spending a reasonable amount of money on something you don't want is a waste of money. The same goes for spending more money than needed of course.

I do own the 18-200VRII btw.. I just had it for a few days, but I'm still in love with it
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:14 PM   #10

Hi Dee-ehn!

Seriously...,the 18/200 Nikon with VR-2 was issued to the market..., it's new for me...! how much cost in US money? & among the same lens Tamron or Sigma or Tokina...how much money you must add?.

Thanks,

ALEX 007 :|