Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:16 PM   #1

I realize this is probably the most stupid question anyone can ask but I am about to buy a Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm lens. I don't need the 18-70mm lens right now but I will buy it later on. My question is with the 18-55mm lens how far away could I zoom to? Also on most digital cameras it says it has say a 6x optical zoom. What is this lens equivalent to that?
spatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:48 PM   #2

6x zoom is fairly meaningless without the focal lengths. It's just a measure of how much longer the telephoto end of the zoom is than the widest end. For the 18-55mm you'd divide 18 into 55 to get the zoom x which is about 3. What's more interesting is that on the D50 a focal length of around 35mm is equivalent to the field of view you'd see with the human eye. Anything less than this gives a wider field of view and anything greater gives a narrower field of view or telephoto.

So the 55mm end of the lens gives roughly a 1.5 - 1.75 maginification.

I don't own either lens but from all the reviews I understand that the 18-70 lens is a much better quality lens than the 18-55. Also if you plan to buy the 18-70 later the 18-55 will be redundant and unlikely to have much resale value, given that many people will have bought it as a kit lens and if they haven't they've probably bought something better.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 1:58 PM   #3

I might suggest reading the following review...Mr. Rockwell actually prefers the 18-55 over the more expensive 18-70....worth reading either way
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1855.htm
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:38 PM   #4

goomer wrote:
Quote:
I might suggest reading the following review...Mr. Rockwell actually prefers the 18-55 over the more expensive 18-70....worth reading either way
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1855.htm
Strange guy that Ken Rockwell. I often doubts his reviews and intentions. I don't really trust that guy. I know he's a Nikon fanboy. So am I
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:20 PM   #5

Ken Rockwell is an interesting read...I wouldn't use him as the end all opinion in your research. A less controversial source for info is Thom Hogan...check out his website www.bythom.com.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 3:10 AM   #6

rjseeney wrote:

Quote:
Ken Rockwell is an interesting read...I wouldn't use him as the end all opinion in your research. A less controversial source for info is Thom Hogan...check out his website http://www.bythom.com.

Mr Hogan writes nice books to. I have his "Complete guide to the D70" and I must say I like it...
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote