Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:03 PM   #1
JTF

I was lookin on the ritz camera site and noticed that some of the digital nikon slr kits come with a lense brand called "Quantaray". Are these junk or a newer line of lenses.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:50 PM   #2

Quantaray is Ritz/Wolf camera's house lens. They are very cheap, and of poor quality. Stick with the nikkors or the better Sigma and Tamron lenses.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:24 PM   #3

I wouldn't automaticly discount Quantaray lenses as "Junk". While Quantaray is Ritz/Wolf's house brand name they are built by Sigma and (other than the brand name markings) are identical to the equivalent Sigma lenses (if you want to verify this go into the store and compare the Quantaray 70-300mm lens and the Sigma 70-300mm that's included in the Sigma 2-lens kit).

When I purchased my D50 from Wolf I went with the Quantaray 28-90mm F/3.5. Even though it's the cheapest Nikon mount lens they offer I felt the quality of the lens was on par in the price range. It focused quickly and was sharp throughout the zoom range when kept a couple of stops away from max aperature. I didn't keep it long because I wanted more zoom range (went with a used Tamron 28-300 F/3.5 LD XR Di) but I wasn't disapointed in it's quality compared to other lenses in the price range. Since I don't shoot much wide-angle I also felt the 28-90mm offered a more useful range (even factoring in the digital crop) than something like an 18-55mm.

Don't discount the Quantaray brand. If you're looking to get in to a D50 for the absolute lowest price (while still buying from a brick/mortar store) I wouldn't hesitate to go with something from the Quantaray brand if it fit your shooting needs and price range. If you're looking for a single inexpensive lens for a D50 I wouldn't hesitate to consider the Quantaray 28-200mm F/3.8. It's not the fastes (largest max aperature) 28-200mm out there but it's inexpensive and as sharp as comparable zoom lenses in the price range. At $200 new from the store it's a solid lens for the price.

If you REALLY have to keep the cost down then there are lots of great deals on used lenses out there. I was able to get a Tamron 28-300mm F/3.5 LD XR Di for $144 from KEH. It was their "Bargain" grade and while it's their next-to-lowest grade I couldn't tell it from new other than one spec of dust under the front glass that's in no way ever visible in my shots. KEH currently has a few differend 28-200mm lenses in their higher quality grades (and they grade conservatively) in the $75 range.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:53 PM   #4
JTF

Thankyouboth for the excellent feedback and info.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote