Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 5, 2006, 2:35 PM   #1

Hello all,

I have D50, 17-55mm f/2.8 and 70-210 f/4-5.6 D. Sometimes it's too heavy to carry and If I use 17-55mm wideopen, internal flash useless.

I amconsidering to buy Nikon 18-200mm VRII lens but I am not sure about the lens quality specially comparing the 17-55mm f/2.8. Because I had Tamron 18-200mm and I wasn't happy with it.

Best regards,

Aktunav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:04 AM   #2

Hi there,

I can't make a comparison for you, as I don't own any of the lenses you already have, but I can tell you something about the 18-200VRII lens. I bought this baby a few weeks ago and I quite enjoy it. I think it's an excellent lens, considering the range it covers. Of course, lenses that cover smaller ranges (esp primes) can give better results, but they are less versatile than this product. If you are into a certain kind of photography, you might want to check some other lens, but if you want a universal lens that gives you very acceptable results in all situations, this is the way to go.
I like this lens for carrying it all around the globe (if I'd do that ). Changing lenses isn't something you always want to do when on the road. I did that for over a year... and I did it quite careful. I had to get my D70 cleaned. The lens has a rubber ring that keeps dust out.

The VR function works quite nice. I make a walk last night and took some pics at 1/3 sec at ISO400 of some lit buildings. The results were very acceptable. Not as sharp as they would be in daylight, but way better than regular shots. I think they look similar to shots at about 1/10 of a second with a non-VR lens. That's quite good.
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:11 PM   #3

Hi again,

Have you ever noticed serious vignetting or falloff problems...?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 5:01 AM   #4

Aktunav wrote:
Quote:
Hi again,

Have you ever noticed serious vignetting or falloff problems...?
Not really. But.... I only had the lens for a few weeks now and I didn't get a chance yet to test it well, as my free time is quite limited nowadays.

Anyhow. From reviews I read (inculding the one from Clown Rockwell), I figured that the problems this lens have are smaller than the 18-70's problems. I've had that lens for over a year and used it thoroughly. All problems I ever had with that lens were easy to fix using a photo editing program (Photoshop makes this terribly easy).

If you are looking for a nice allround lens I think this is a good one. It doesn't come cheap, but it offers a very decent picturequality considering the huge range it covers. And, the VRII tech is just great!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:13 AM   #5

Thank you very much forsharing theuseful informations.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:34 PM   #6

Who is "Clown Rockwell"?
sbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:36 AM   #7

sbranch wrote:
Quote:
Who is "Clown Rockwell"?
Ken Rockwell. The man that likes everything with "Nikon" printed on it.
(yes I am Nikon fanboy too, but he's plain naive)
Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:23 AM   #8

Oh, yes, Ken Rockwell. I thought that might be whom you were refering to. He does run an excellent and informative site, but he is straight line Nikon. Makes me nervous to even look at third party items...
sbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:58 PM   #9

Can you say "on the payroll" I knew you could. :-)
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:47 PM   #10

I just get the Nikon 18-200mm VRII lens and firstimpressionwas better than I expected for that kind of super zoom.

Because I alreadyused Tamron 18-200mmand cornerswere soft that bothers me most. But this one is really good.

This lensis sharp, quiet and focusing is fast even dark.I have noticed a little bit light falloff 200mm f/5.6 but if you looking for just one lensfor everythingyou do not have to worry about...

I think, I'llgo with this lens, because 17-55mm is too large and heavy for me. However, sharpness isvery very close to 17-55mm. VRreally helpsfor getting sharp results in dark.

Good match for D50. I am happy to find it andI guess, this lens will be the best seller.