Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:30 PM   #1

Hi

I am in UK and the D50 i can buy body only for £350,lens 18/55 takes it up to £400.
Is this lens adequate for general scenery photos,sports and children or is it worth buying body only and getting a decent lens on top separately.

I would like to take concert pics also if its gonna be any good
advice is appreciated
Thanks
bigfoot125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:51 AM   #2

This lens isn't the greatest thing Nikon offers. It gives you nice a nice value for money, but that's all there is to it. It's pretty slow and not that sharp. So.. it can hardly be used for sports and concert photography.

I suggest you get a nice prime (50mm 1.8 is pretty cheap and excellent for concert photography) and a nice tele (the 70-200 VR 2.8 is quite nice) for the sporst etc. Or... do it the cheap way and get a 18-70DX kit lens (usually comes with the D70 and has lots and lots of bang for the buck).
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:08 PM   #3

Sorry to be thick but if i wanted the D50 what in laymans terms would i look for as a description on internet for the item that does the whole shebang.

The figures to me are quite confusing as i am a complete novice,its the sport and scenery shots that matter most,concerts will be few and far between

cheers in advance
Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:34 PM   #4

It's true that the kit lens is exactly top of the line. However, in that price range you're not going to be able to do better. Also, if you are outdoors, you can absolutely shoot sports with the lens...you're not likely to need to shoot wide open if you're outdoors. You'll probably be more limited by the short zoom range of the lens and only average burst speed of the D50. It is acceptably sharp (as long as you avoid extremes in both zoom and aperature), lightweight and focuses quickly. For most amateurs, this paired with the 55-200 is a good starter set of lenses. Sure you could get the 18-70 (the kit lens for the d70) or go for the 18-200vr (if you can afford it/find it) but its going to cost you more, and a newbie is not likely to notice the differences in optical quality. The 70-200 that was mentioned is a great lens....however your going to pay $1700 or so, even in the used market...I think this is beyond what the typical amatuer is willing to spend.

The 50 f/1.8 is such a inexpensive, great lens, that no photographer who owns nikon DSLR (or film slr) should be without it.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:54 PM   #5

So i reckon if i go for the D50 to start off and get the basic lens and maybe add on the 50mm 1.8 also i guess i wudnt go far wrong Wud i?
thanks
Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:17 PM   #6

As long as you don't need the extra zoom. Some people may find it a little too short for their main lens. If thats the case and you're limited to purchasing one lens, I would get the 18-70.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:40 PM   #7

wud this be ok for sport shots action etc

one final query,when the photos are taken woudl i need to buy a software editing program or can you print direct from a printer
txs
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:16 PM   #8

Sure, it would be fine for sports as long as you didn't need extra zoom and are outdoors. Indoors is a little tougher, as lighting is generally poor. A fast prime is usually the cheapest option for indoor sports

As far as printing, you can print directly to a printer (as long as you're shooting jpeg), but I've never seen an image that didn't benefit from some post work. Photoshop elements is a fine, inexpensive editing program.