Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:01 PM   #1

I recently purchased the Nikkor 80-400mm VR ED AF lens to go with me on those bird photo get aways and have just begun spending time with different settings. I always use the "Aperture priority" setting and depending on the light and moving birds shoot at 400 ISO. I was wondering if anybody has any helpful experiences they can share.

Regards in advance. :-)
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:37 AM   #2

Buzzsaw wrote:
Quote:
I recently purchased the Nikkor 80-400mm VR ED AF lens to go with me on those bird photo get aways and have just begun spending time with different settings. I always use the "Aperture priority" setting and depending on the light and moving birds shoot at 400 ISO. I was wondering if anybody has any helpful experiences they can share.

Regards in advance. :-)

I have the D50 and 80-400 for aboutsix months and took more than 6000 pictures with it. Set the aperture to f:5.6 most of the time and use ISO from 200-1600. The D50 has very low noise at ISO1600 which very useful for birding.

I do not use the tripod ring nor the lens hood. Always hand holding the camera.

See mypictures here:- http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...ry.php?cat=fav
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:20 AM   #3

Thank you! I was told to shoot ISO 400 and had reports about how well this camera shoots at higher ISO's... I'll bump it up and see if I can capture more detail yet. Thank you again and anymore advice from anybody is well received.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:37 AM   #4

Shooting at a higher iso will not yield more detail. Shooting at a higher ISO allows the use of faster shutter speeds given the same aperature (or a smaller aperature with the same shutter speed). Increasing iso basically makes the camera more sensitive to light. THis however comes at a price, which is more noise (grain). Now extra noise can be removed through software, howver, noise removal does come at the expense of loss of detail (picture softening). The usual recommendation is to use the lowest ISO that allow you to get the shutter speed/aperature combo that you need. If your in bright sunlight, it would serve no purpose to shoot at a higher iso. Lower ISO's will yield better looking images.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:18 AM   #5

Well explained, muchas gracious sir! :-)