Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:22 AM   #1

Travelling to South africa I dug this antiquated push/pull lens out to see how it would work. Obviously it isn't as useful as the 70/200 f2.8 or 200/400 but since the value of the lens is about nil these days I was curious, plus of course it weighs next to nothing. Here is an example shot while there - the old lenses are quite good enough for every day use it seems still
Attached Images

cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:37 AM   #2

Nice bokeh

May I ask how much such a lens costs nowadays?
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:44 AM   #3

Given that my 80/200 F2.8 isn't worth a sight nowadays, I reckon that you could find this lens for about $50 or thereabouts. I only took it out of curiosity, and admit to being astounded by the bokeh quality given the limited f stop range.

Quite frankly, whiule everybody raves about the 70/200 (which I also have) I find the results with the old 80/200 just as good in most circumstances the VR excepted. For portrait use I find it better balanced too.

I am more and more convinced that most of us have no need of the expensive lenses now being purchased by so many amateurs. I need them for professional work, but would any nature lover complain at the quality of the above photo? I doubt it. Just hope it gives you food for thought before spending big bucks for no reason.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote