Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:50 PM   #1

Hi - I'm thinking of getting the Nikon D50, but I was wondering if the old film camera lenses are compatible (usable) with the new digital SLRs. I have a Nikon 6006, and two lenses for it, and was wondering if they would work with the Nikon D50. One was the lenses that came with the D6006, the other was a stronger zoom that was bought a couple of years later.
sktanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 9:22 AM   #2

It took me a while to work out what the Nikon 6006 was, since it is known elsewhere as the Nikon 601. Thanks Google! Like many of us I moved from Nikon film to Nikon digital, and all my old lenses, even the manual ones, work with the new D70 and the D2X. The D2X is better because you can even programme in the old manual lens you are using for exposure purposes. If you look under Nikon Lenses I recently put there a photo taken with the d2X and a very old 75/300 lens and even further back a photo taken with the 500 mirror manual lens.

So do not worry. Virtually all lenses will work with the new digital body. I have an old 24/120, 75/300, 85mm, 80/200, 500mm, plus even older lenses and they all work.

Hope this helps
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:04 AM   #3

If the lenses are AF, they will work. Manual/AI lenses will mount, but will not meter, meaning exposure will have to be set manually. Also, the older lenses do not have modern coatings, and are more problems with CA, flare, etc.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:57 PM   #4

You are of course right on the DSLR's up to the D70S, but on the D2X they will meter, even the manual lenses. I find this a great help when using lenses I have had for 20 years and which were, I thought, redundant.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote