Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:00 AM   #1

I have searched but can't find the post I read about whether or not to get manual focus or auto focus while looking for a 50mm f/1.8 (or shorter) prime. I recall some post saying one would be better than the other. Can anyone help? Any other advice for purchasing such a lens (letters on the lens, G, ED, etc. or something else to look for is appreciated. I am wanting to shoot wide-er angle which is why I am considering less than a normal 50mm. I realize I've mixed a few metaphors here, but I am considering a 50mm f/1.8 for low light but while I'm looking if I find a 'wide angle' good deal I would go with it.

Thanks,

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:01 PM   #2

Found the following info, absent a response to my earlier post, I'll try to give a more specific question. Money is an object and this is just research for the day hopefully soon when I can start adding the few things I want. This info was gleaned from Adoramas' who had all the lenses in question in stock (used or new). Here's what I can figure out. For twice the price the 50mm 1.4 versus 1.8 would be great for even lower light, but as has been pointed out here many times, it is twice+ the price. Doubtful I'll need the 1.4 since I have no specific need for the low light, but just want this prime for the collection for the situations as the present themselves.

Now, the 24mm versus 28mm are not nearly as fast at 1.8 or 1.4but offer 74-84 percent viewing angle which is what I want a lens like this for - wide angle for scenic and architecture. My 18-55 kit is rated 3.5-5.6. So in theory if I were within the range of the kit lens in the 24-28mm, I'd still benefit from the 2.8 on the 24 or 28. From the text on the kit lens I have76 degrees (@18mm). So if I stayed at 18mm on the kit lens, I'd just be slower,lacking thef/2.8.

Is my analysis ok?I know that there is so much I don't know and have omitted, I'd appreciate if you could set me straight. I checked out a Magic Lantern Nikon lens book (about 10 years old) and have been trying to learn.

I got my film SLRs out and played with the primes and zooms again and just felt that affinity for the primes once again is what started my lust anew.

Info on lenses from adorama (used and new)

Used first

******************Nikon 50 1.4 Af-d Lens *52..
Mfr. Part # 1902
Our Price: $230.00
Used Condition E+
Features
Fast enough for shooting in just about any type of light.
Distortion-free images with superb resolution and color rendition.
An ideal first lens, perfect for full-length portraits, travel photography or any type of available-light shooting. Accepts 52mm filters.
Specifications
Construction 7 Groups/ 6 Elements
Angle of view 46°
F stop range 1.4-16
Closest Focusing Distance 1.8'
Maximum Magnification 1:6.8
Filter Size 52mm
Dimensions (Length x Diameter) 2.1 x 2.5"
Weight 0.49 lb
****************************Nikon 28 2.8 Af-d Lens *52
Mfr. Part # 400
Our Price: $174.00
Used Condition E+
Features
Standard wide-angle lens for general photography
Exceptionally light - weighs only 7.4 oz
74° coverage lets you take candids, portraits and travel photographs
Specifications
Construction 6 Groups/ 6 Elements
Angle of view 74°
F stop range 2.8-22
Closest Focusing Distance 0.85 feet
Maximum Magnification 1:5.6
Filter Size 52mm
Dimensions (Length x Diameter) 2.6 x 1.8 inches
Weight 7.4 oz
******************************Nikon 24 2.8 Af-d Lens *52
Mfr. Part # 1919
Our Price: $194.00
Used Condition E
Features
Close Range correction (CRC) system provides high performance at both near and far focusing distances
Compact and lightweight design
Ideal for candids and landscape photography
Specifications
Construction 9 groups/ 9 elements
Angle of view 84°
F stop range 2.8-22
Closest Focusing Distance 1 foot
Maximum Magnification 1:8.9
Filter Size 52mm
Dimensions (Length x Diameter) 2.5 x 1.8 inches
Weight 9.5 oz

New

*******************Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Standard Auto Focus Nikkor Lens - with 5 Year U.S.A. Warranty
Mfr. Part # 2137
Our Price: $104.95
Features
An affordable Nikkor that combines the ease of autofocus operation with advanced Nikon optics.
Ideal for scenery or full-length portraits.
Weighs only 5.1 ounces.
Stops down to f/22 for additional depth of field control.
Specifications
Construction 5 Groups/ 6 Elements
Angle of view 46°
F stop range 1.8-22
Closest Focusing Distance 1.5'
Maximum Magnification 1:6.6
Filter Size 52mm
Dimensions (Length x Diameter) 1.1 x 2.5"
Weight 5.1 oz.

Thanks,

M

melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 5:17 AM   #3

I'm in the market for the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D. I was just wondering whether this lens acts like a 33mm on an APS-C sensor camera, as it is 50mm for 35mm film cameras.
Can anyone straighten this out for me?
Thanks.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 6:36 AM   #4

Are you buying a camera for taking pictures? If so you should start taking pictures not research on lenses. After you took several thousand shots you shall know whether you really need more lenses. D50 kit include 18-55 lens which is a very good lens and 18-55 (27-82.5 equivalent) is a very good range.You can take practicallyall kind ofpictures with this lens.

This picture was taken with 18-55 D50 kit lens @ 18mmwithmy D200 .

Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 8:33 AM   #5

Actually the focal length willappear to belonger. It will appear as a 75mm, as you need to multiply the focal length times 1.5 to get the apparent focal length on the smaller sensored digital camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 11:23 AM   #6

ruchai, thank you for your concern and for your great example of what the 18-55mm can do. actually my current lens is the sigma 18-200mm andI needa good and cost effective (prime) lens that will perform betterin low light situations. that's why I was enquiring about the 50mm.

rjseeney, thanks for strightening that out. I was thinking the same but Ithen thought that if the 50mm is for 35mm film cameras, then for theAPS-C digital camera would be 50/1.5=33mm.

Old May 20, 2006, 2:56 PM   #7

Is the D in the 50mm f/1.8D really that important for a digital camera? Is it worth the price difference?
Old May 21, 2006, 8:44 PM   #8
rey

Quote:
Is the D in the 50mm f/1.8D really that important for a digital camera? Is it worth the price difference?
The only non-D 50mm f/1.8 I can find is the 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor AIS Manual Focus Lens, is this what you're considering?

I would get the Auto Focus one instead.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 8:58 PM   #9
rey

Sure enough, after posting the last one I found this:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5018af.htm

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 9:25 PM   #10

Have you considered the Nikon 35mm f2D AF Nikkor lense? Much moreeffective solution than the 50mm 1.8 forfast wide angleand equates to ~52mm on 35mm film camera.

Hard to find used, but new cost is quite reasonable.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...=12&page=1

rgsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote