Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:07 AM   #1

Hi all
just bought a new D50, immediate impression is, wow! Loving it so far, thought Id hate using the EVF but how did I ever live without it.. anyway

it came with the kit 18-55mm lens (very nice lens for a kit imo), and i managed to get a cheap 50mm 1.8f prime from ebay... next up id like some zoom to replace what im loosing from using my fz5... ive read lots of the threads here and some of rockwells reviews....

im thinking of going for the sigma apo 70-300mm, or the standard nikon 70-300 g lens... people on this forum slate the nikon, but rockwell says its decent enough

or maybe a nice 18-200 or 55-200 could be advisable?
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:41 AM   #2

I already have D50 and I am quite happy with it.

My lenses;

17-55mm f/2.8 it's perfect butbig and heavy.

70-210mm f/4-5.6 old but nice performer.

18-200mm VR f/3.5-5.6 Just start using it but looks really nice.

Maybe I'll sell first two if I like 18-200mm VR because I travel a lot.

You have 18-55mm already, logically you can get 55-200 for cheap solution. But if yougo withone lens then only choice 18-200mm VR.

Aktunav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 9:32 AM   #3

ah sorry for not mentioning it (thought it was implied from the examples id given already) but im not prepared to spend £450 for a 18-200 vr lens...

also not sure how much id miss the zoom from fz5 (which went to 432mm) if i used a 18/55-200mm lens - equiv of 350mm, so id be missing that last bit of reach...
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:40 AM   #4

I would recommend against the Nikon 70-300G lens. It appears to be quite soft and needs to be stopped down quite a lot (sometimes up to F11!) to become sharp. It's cheap alright, but so is its performance.

I'd rather recommend the Sigma 70-300 APO lens. It costs somewhat more, but it seems to be a lot better deal. I never tested either of those, but I did some research back when I was looking for a telelens. I do own the 18-200VRII lens btw. Quite a nice tool, esp if you don't want to keep changing lenses (like I did before I had this lens).

And eh... don't believe all Clown Rockwell says. Everything that has printed Nikon on it gets him horny. I love Nikon hardware, but there's a big difference between liking and plain naivity. Maybe Nikon pays him?
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:14 AM   #5

What about the Tamron or Sigma 18-200mm any opinions ?? :shock:
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:58 AM   #6

Idan wrote:
Quote:
What about the Tamron or Sigma 18-200mm any opinions ?? :shock:

I used 6 months Tamron 18-200mm XR DI (Tipa award) , it had lots of distortion specially wide open. However, I was not happy with the sharpness because right side always blurry then left side.

Maybe mycopy was bad but I could not risk it anymore. Iprefer Nikon ratherthan others.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:49 PM   #7

audioedge wrote:
Quote:
Hi all
just bought a new D50, immediate impression is, wow! Loving it so far, thought Id hate using the EVF but how did I ever live without it.. anyway
What EVf are you talking about??? The D50 is not equipped with an electronic viewfinder. No current DSLR has a EVf or live preview, although Olympus is introducing Live preview in the E-330 coming soon, although it is being implemented through a second sensor.

In terms of a second tele zoom lens, unless you need the extra reach of the 70-300, the 55-200 kit lens is a solid, if unremarkable choice. It is fairly sharp, especially when stopped down a little, lightweight and focuses much quicker than the 70-300. The 70-300 is large, bulky, slow focusing and suffers from softness throughout the zoom range, especially wide open and at extremes. Also the difference in reach between 200mm and 300mm is not as much as you would think.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:31 PM   #8

was an obvious error whereby i meant ovf... sry

i have also "eyed" a 70-210 f/4-5.6 AFD going cheapish, its an older lens but has reports of fast focusing... anyone used one?

ps thanks for advice

Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:46 AM   #9

audioedge wrote:
Quote:
was an obvious error whereby i meant ovf... sry

i have also "eyed" a 70-210 f/4-5.6 AFD going cheapish, its an older lens but has reports of fast focusing... anyone used one?

ps thanks for advice

1- Focusing speed is very good but focusing can be problem in low light !!!

2- Very sharp indeed

3- Some peopledislike Push-pull systems
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:01 PM   #10

Just ordered the body only for £320 sterling from amazon,tempted to buy the 18-70mm lens,is this k for action shots and scenery etc
cheers
bigfoot125 is offline   Reply With Quote