Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:56 AM   #1

Hey I just ordered the Nikon 80-200mm f/2 ED AF lens online and i'm still waiting for it's arrival. I bought the Nikon D70s kit with the 18-70mm lens. Can anyone respond to me how good this is when shooting sports? Any help will be great. John
jcarboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:11 AM   #2

I used the 80/200 (I assume you mean f2.8 ) for motor racing photography and portraits for years with great success. In fact, even though I have the 70/200VR I prefer the balance of the 80/200 and being old fashioned the two ring system since I mostly work in aperture priority. Now the new lens is out people tend to dismiss the 80/200 buy it is still a gem and a worthy addition to anyones collection. Best of luck.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:12 AM   #3

no idea what happened there. I meant of course f2.8
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:41 AM   #4
Administrator

I fixed it. It happens to me all the time if I don't use a space before a ) with f/2.8 ).

Otherwise, I get this: f/2.8).

I think it's the 8 ) . combination doing it. If you don't have a space somewhere, it interprets it as this:

8).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:48 AM   #5
Administrator

jcarboski wrote:
Quote:
Hey I just ordered the Nikon 80-200mm f/2 ED AF lens online and i'm still waiting for it's arrival.
If you get an f/2 versus f/2.8 lens, let us know. Steve might want to carry it on the Breaking News Page (first ever f/2 zoom for Nikon cameras). ;-)

Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:04 AM   #6

Yeah Jim, but imagine the size of the new 18/200 f1.4 lol.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:15 AM   #7
Administrator

Olympus managed to pull off producing a good quality 35-100mm f/2 zoom for the 4/3's system, thanks to the smaller sensors in the cameras (this lens gives you the same angle of view as a 70-200mm lens would on a 35mm model).

But, given the smaller sensor size of these Oympus models, you really need the 1 stop advantage you get with f/2 in order to match the shutters speeds you could get with competing DSLR models using f/2.8 zooms with higher usable ISO speeds.

Shhhhh... on the new Nikkor 18-200mm f/1.4 (with VR of course). Aren't you under a Non Disclosure agreement? They must be keeping a very tight lid on it. I don't think Steve has even seen any marketing specs yet, or any confirmation by Nikon that it even exists. :-)

Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:41 AM   #8

I will break the embargo even if they do take away my press passes Jim. The new 18/200 f1.4 is a DX lens with f1.4 throughout. It cannot be called the most compact of lenses since it weighs in at 28 lbs and takes a size 127 filter. Apparently there is no CA and it will take the new TC40E converter with only the loss of one stop. The tripod manufacturers have been fully consulted and new sales are forecast of the new reinforced titanium monopods and tripods. Early beta tests with this lens show phenomenal results which can of course be cropped with no loss using the D2X. The sports press like me are going wild over it and even though the forecast price is high ($14,000) there are many who have pre ordered. Deliveries are forecast to start the day after the end of March. I have already ordered and hope I will not be disappointed on the due date as mentioned above.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Administrator

I think I'll hold off for the rumoured Tamron 18-200mm f/1.8. Rumour has it that it will be just as sharp at f/1.8 as the new Nikkor will be stopped down to f/2, for far less money. I really don't need f/1.4 very often anyway, and I'd rather have the smaller and lighter lens. :-)

It is also rumoured to have 1:1 Macro performance at the long end of the lens, with focus limiter to help improve AF speed when closer focus isn't needed, using Tamron's new TUF (Tamron Ultrasonic Focusing) system for increased AF performance in combination with their new TAS (Tamron Anti-shake) System for optical image stabilization.

From most accounts, the Bokeh will be better on the Nikkor, with a bit better flare resistance, too (with less barrel distortion on the wide end of the Nikkor). But, we'll need to wait for more user reports comparing them to find out for sure.

Hopefully, any new forum members reading these posts don't take us seriously.

To make sure, we're just kidding guys. ;-)