Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:58 PM   #1

Hi,

Yes, it is another of those beginner questions! What started out as an ' obvious Rebel XT ' campaign shuffled to E0S-20D and finally D50. On reading different forums, I gather -

a. All the cameras perform well. b. The CCD sensor in D50 Vs CMOS battle is more or less balanced. c. Immaterial of which of the two you choose, a lot depends on your own photographic skills!!

The whole idea of moving to SLR was to feel a real camera and take my hobby a step further. Though I had set my eyes on XT, the feel of D50 was better, I did stray to EOS 20D but chose to invest on lenses instead.

Now, the confusion is - D50 or D70S!!

a. I had set my eyes on the D50 kit with two lenses - 18-55 & 55-200 which came up to $760-$800 + case + memory. I was thinking this would be sufficient to learn and take it up from there.

b. But I have read a lot about 18-70mm lens which works out to like $340 and with body comes up again to $800 mark. So, I kept thinking should i invest in a single lens which is much better than 2 lenses which give variety and though maybe not excellent are not that bad either?

c. Then i see somewhere that D70s with the 18-70mm lens comes as a kit for 930!

Anyone with any ideas? I trek, so am looking for nature landscape pics and regular people/places pics more than macros, as of yet. Budget would be $1000 and maximum i can starve during lunch and stretch it to $1200!!I am only a beginner and have spent quite some time reading about cameras and toying with my point and shoot Sony DSC-H1 with 12X zoom.

Thanks.

PS - Though D50-D70s is for sure, I would love to hear opinions on should i go to XT/20D on terms of long run! (I kept telling myself one step at a time!)

ZchewereZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:57 PM   #2
rey

First off, I'm assuming you're in the US.

There are several running threads that would answer your questions regarding D50 vs D70s vs RebXT vs 20D... I suggest you look at those, there are also several current threads that talks about the kit lens for all those camera, check those out as well.

I'm in the same situation as you, I haven't decided yet, except for the fact that it's gonna be one of those four cameras. For some reason, beachcamera.com recently increase the price for D70s with 18-70mm kit lens from as low as $980 last week to currently at 1060. That could affect my decision, although I also know that they tend to drop the price on weekends.

Anyways, if you're considering the 20D price range, you may wanna check out adorama. They have a RebXT with EF-S 17-85 IS USM for $1170. I think I'd rather get that than get the 20D with its 18-55 kit lens. I'll just have to deal with the small body size of the RebXT until I can afford to buy the vertical grip for it.

Many have said it before, no matter which one of those four you get, it's gonna be your skill as photographer that will limit the pics you shoot, not the camera. Check out kenrockwell.com for his take on Nikons...

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:21 AM   #3

Thanks Rey, yes am in the States.

I think abes of maine is where i saw D70S for $930 and I think their prices are a shade lower than beachcamera/b&h. There are some websites which offer xt body for like $500, but have never heard of them nor can comprehend their business model! (usaphotonation.com)

Checked rockwell and like every pro he is hinting at D50 being apt for beginners..

ZchewereZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 2:02 AM   #4
rey

There are lots of scams out there. So if the prices are too good to be true, they probably are. I wouldn't buy anything from abe's of maine either:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2003.html

Use that site to weed-out those scam stores from Crooklyn, NY.

The only online sites I would use are adorama, B & H, beachcamera (a.k.a. buydig).

My friend bought is DigRebel and Canon P&S from beachcamera so I know they're legit. B&H also has good ratings. I'm curious why Adorama got such bad reviews in resellerratings.com since a lot of people recommend them as well. I'd still buy from them.

For used gears people have recommended KEH. Most others are scams and are not approved resellers. What really sucks is that a lot of them advertise on legitimate photog magazines.

My preference on what to buy changes on the daily basis, today I'm leaning towards the D50 with two kit lenses. Adorama sell 'em for $775. I don't have any trips planned for another few weeks, so I can live with my current camera.

Also, last year, Nikon did not announce the D50 and D70s in PMA 2005. They waited until April (if I remember correctly). So maybe Nikon will do the same thing this year and announce an updated D50 or D70s. Maybe a D70s update that's comparable to the 20D, as the 20D has dropped in price considerably since Christmas. Nikon also had a Spring Rebate program that started on April of 2005. Maybe they'll have it again this year.

Good luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote