Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:53 PM   #1

I'm searching for the perfect lense combination and I've come to the conclusion that I'll want a dedicated macro lense. The long focal length macros are very expensive, but I'd like to have the working distance. That brings me to the question...

Would it be possible to combine a telephoto lense and a cheaper 1:1 macro lense to increase working distance from the subject? If so, how is it done and how are the results?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:28 AM   #2

Well you can get a used nikkor 105mm micro for around $400 from KEH. Sigma and Tamron have 90mm versions which are even cheaper in the $200-300 range. I've never heard of combining two lenses, and can't imagine that would be a good idea. That would be alot of glass hanging off your camera, two focusing and aperature systems, etc. You'd also have a ton of light falloff, meaning you couldn't work with the small aperatures needed for macro work. You're best bet is saving some coin, and springing for the 105mm when you can afford it. The 105 gives decent working distance and should be sufficient for your needs...remember with the crop factor, the 105mm acutally functions like a 158mm. Even the nikon 60mm micro may work, as it becomes a 90mm macro in 35mm terms.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:38 AM   #3

Is there any decent macro lenses around $100?
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:12 AM   #4

Nizidramanii wrote:
Quote:
Is there any decent macro lenses around $100?
No. Macro lenses tend to have superior optics and build quality because of the exacting nature of their type of work. One could say there are no quality lenses at that price (barring the 50 f/1.8), although I have seen a few that are pretty good.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 1:17 PM   #5

Dang!* Let me rephrase:

Are there any macro lenses that cost around $100?* I don't even need it to go all the way down to 1:1.

(edited because I realized that I just asked the exact same question twice)