Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:48 PM   #1

Greetings to all members of steve's forums!Found a lens on ebay for my nikon d50.tried to search it up on the internet but to no avail.name of products is kind of confusing.here is the link for the said lens.any comments will be appreciated!thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&rd=1:?::?::?:
green terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:02 PM   #2
Administrator

If you really want to know, users rate the optical quality of this lens as very poor in the lens performance surveys at http://www.photozone.de

It's one of the lowest rated lens I can remember seeing.

It got a 0.9 on a scale that normally runs 1 - 5 (higher numbers are better).

That's bad. You can also see how users rated it for sharpness wide open, and stopped down at the wide and long end, flare resistance, AF speed, distortion, etc. It was rated poor in most categories.

Looking at MTF charts for it, it's pretty soft at wide open apertures. But, if you use it in better lighting stopped down to f/8 or so, it improves significantly (MTF charts look better than user opinions for it).

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/det...5Asp-773.shtml

Note, the photo isn't supposed to match up, as they use the same generic photo for many lenses they've tested.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:09 PM   #3

Quantary is a house lens for Ritz/wolf camera. I think its made by Sigma. As JimC said, these lenses are about as bad as it gets. It's also a focal length that the kit lens covers, andthe kit lens isprobably a vastly superior lens. Your much better off with the kit lens.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:18 PM   #4
Administrator

Since the auction is over, my assumption is that you're the winning bidder.

Try it out and see is all you can do. Sometimes you do see a quality variance between lenses. So, you may get a better than average copy.

But, I wouldn't count on it. If you use it in better light so you can stop down the aperture some, it may OK, depending on what your expectations are.

Next time, I'd ask first, then buy. ;-)

Old Mar 2, 2006, 5:23 PM   #5

is this lens same as the quntaray tech-10 18-35mm lens featured in photographyreview?will this lens work with the features of the nikon d50?next time i'll gonna follow jims advice to ask first before buying.thanks for the input guys!
green terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 5:32 PM   #6
Administrator

I don't subscribe to that magazine (or website, which ever the case is).

But, you need to be careful that any review you read isn't biased (not that advertising revenue can play a role or anything). ;-)

But, from the age of the lens and the description in the Ebay listing, it's the same lens I'm looking at user opinions on (and MTF tests for).

MTF tests don't look real bad if you stop down some (since you'll be using the "sweet spot" of a lens with a DSLR that has a sensor smaller than 35mm film, edge softness isn't as important), although it's still a bit soft on the long end, and only "OK" stopped down to smaller apertures at other focal lengths.

Let us know how well it works for you. Hopefully, you'll get a better than average copy.